Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Council election - Hamilton players
I suspect the growing presence of the SNP has little to do with a real increase in a desire for independence, more a real statement of dissatisfaction with the other political parties and their records in office. Plus no other party in Scotland has a leader with the charisma and blustering, diversionary powers of Salmond; until they put up credible leaders who can stand toe to toe with him, they will struggle.

Labour - dominated the Scottish political scene since the 1960s, been in office locally for many years, nothing much seems to have improved, certainly in the areas I've lived in. In many places it's actually worse.

Conservative - Scotland historically had a healthy Conservative return which started to diminish in the 1960's, however Thatcher hoisted her own (and every subsequent Tory leader's) petard with the Poll Tax. Our memories are long.

Lib Dems - Stronger in Scotland in certain areas, but the coalition has rendered them up onto the ash heap of history (for some time I suspect, particularly in Scotland).

SNP - can't knock some of their achievements within Holyrood. They've actually made some good things happen. But their primary fundamental raison d'etre is not for me.

It is obviously a matter of personal opinion, and that's why we all have a vote. I'll be voting no as I don't believe we grow stronger by moving apart.

Messages In This Thread