Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grandparents rule
Phil, I believe David was suggesting that we only use birth as a means for determining who you can play for and thus everyone was born in a country so they could represent that country. Thus no-one would be stateless.

As I pointed out earlier AGMs are not necessarily the most representative. Can someone direct me to the policy/procedure regarding proxy votes? As I will be attending the SGM and will either amend this motion to Dougie's suggestion of:
Douglas Bryson Wrote:Perhaps the halfway house of grandparent gets you on the FIDE list as SCO but you must choose to reside here before you can play is the way to go.

Or vote against this motion. I am also keen to ensure that those who are likeminded with me on this proposal are not excluded from the decision making process. If anyone is unable to attend the SGM but would still like their view expressed pm me or email me at david.deary(at)gmail.com.

I have slept on this and I still remain uncomfortable. (Perhaps its my mattress 8) )
Has representing Scotland become a numbers game? If you number is big enough we'll change the rules for representing Scotland. If you have contributed to Scottish chess we will reward you with eligibility to play for Scotland? Because if either of these is the slightest bit true it is worrying.

I also believe the proposers of this motion who are the custodians of Chess Scotland are on very shaky ground on this issue. Chess Scotland's primary objective is to:
The primary object of Chess Scotland shall be to foster and promote the game of Chess throughout Scotland among players of all ages...

Has this now changed? This proposal is not in the spirit of CS's primary objective: it will allow us to select players who do not play in Scotland, live outwith Scotland and are not born in Scotland and have a tenuous link to Scotland through one grandparent. How can this possibly promote and foster chess in Scotland?

Edit to add: By a strange twist of fate it is my Granddad's 70th birthday today. He was born in Wales, I just had a look at the Welsh team and I've got as much chance of making that as I do the Scottish team! D'oh! Big Grin
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread