Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting chess clocks to count moves
Hi,

I have used a few digital chess clocks over the years and generally aim to configure them so that they count the minimum number of moves to be completed in the first time control.

34 moves in 85 minutes followed by 20 minutes
40 moves in 120 minutes followed by 30 minutes

If you fail to make the minimum number of moves then the clock will flag this.

Usually there is only a single mode that can be programmed this way and so all clocks need to be adjusted if switching between spens time controls and club/Edinburgh league time controls. It is a hassle to have to reprogram them.

The alternative is to use the modes that do not have the number of moves programmed and so it is the responsibility of the players (or arbiter) to confirm that the minimum number of moves have been completed. For example on the DGT 2010 clocks we have it is possible to set mode 5 for spens time control, and mode 7 for Edinburgh league. So no re-programming is required, if willing to not have the clock count the minimum moves.

To my question, what are other clubs doing for this?

Reading some other forums I can see that it may well be the case that for FIDE rules you should not be programming the minimum moves in to the clock. it is the score sheet that should be used to record evidence of minimum number of moves being made.

Thanks,
Crawford.

Messages In This Thread
Setting chess clocks to count moves - by Crawford Macnab - 12-02-2018, 02:31 PM