Poll: Do you think posters should be identifiable by their username?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
65.52%
19 65.52%
No
34.48%
10 34.48%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Username - Discussion
During the last incarnation of this board it was decided at the AGM that a 'real name' policy be enforced. This was against the wishes of Andy Howie, the admin. At that time I argued against this policy, and was disappointed when it was voted through.

I was even more disappointed when the policy was only partially enforced. Sorry Andy, but your assertion that JR, AWIC and DMB etc. were known to you and therefore acceptable, was a biased decision. Again I argued that if a rule was made it should apply to all, but the rule was not enforced. (never managed to figure out who arf was)

A subsequent justification for this implementation was the position that this put Juniors in. It was suggested that a 'real name' policy would make them vulnerable to online predators. This I found particularly specious when I see what my four offspring, despite warnings, are willing to post on sites such as Facebook.

Basically I would argue that either everybody has to use their real name, a la Andrew McHarg's position, or pseudonyms are allowed.

By the way the 'Save Draft' option should eliminate the problem of posts going missing. When was that functionality added? How about a spell checker? (Andy we have already seen the poem about the worthlessness of such)

Messages In This Thread