Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appearance fees for our best players
Mike Scott Wrote:My feeling is that we should actually take a long term view and rather than spend resources on sending a few juniors to the Euros/Worlds we should be spending resources on making sure there is a national development scheme in place that ensures that all juniors are getting training and training in the right areas, so that when they do turn up at these events they already know their basic endings and their openings. The work done at these events should be more in the category of revision than anything else.

That is not the same as saying that players do not go, rather a question of what the priority is for CS's resources (and I include in this the over worked director's time).

I am not going to say too much about the adults v juniors as you can guess which way I would go but I would guess most adults have a full time job. Those that tend not to are the Norm hunters & it is they IMO that need the financial support to achieve their goals. It is they that should be offered the team places too to help towards those goals. It is they that should be encouraged to become paid coaches to help fund their aspirations & therefore in turn they are helping the juniors. Alex & others are right it is funding & sponsorship that is needed & anyone with experience in those areas are who CS need on board.

Mike,
Although I agree with your point about a national development scheme as it would be a great asset to all. I am confused over your comment about only sending a few to events & more to the point only the older age groups. It wouldnt save any money to reduce the squads going out to the events. Still need to pay expenses for Head of Delegation, still need to pay expenses for a coach, the hosts give the first player in each age group the accommodation & second players usually self fund & all players have to pay their own travel. So where would the money be saved? Surely it is better to give the younger ones the oppoortunities when the places are offered free by the hosts. I am sure that most players come back stronger than they went. Although I agree not all continue to play, at least they were given the opportunity to progress & a majority do. Please note that EU Youth, Mureck, Austria the free places are offered to one child for each age group U14's down only.

With regards to development & coaching the biggest problem has always been that the IJD has been expected to do something about it. The workload for an IJD can be considerable just coping with the events, let alone setting up squad days. More & more parents of the top juniors are now realising that for their child to progress quickly they need to have a coach. If they were doing another sport it is the route that would be taken to have a personal coach so it shouldnt be any different for chess. Logistics make it difficult for some & that is where the online coaching comes in. Where possible you cant beat one to one over the board & that is where local clubs can help their juniors. It would be great if more training weekends could be set up but the weekend you refer to that I ran cost £1400 & that was with every participant paying for their own accommodation & meals. I wish there were the funds to enable more weekends like that to take place.

Messages In This Thread