Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appearance fees for our best players
Andrew, I think we'll need to agree to disagree. The key word within what you have said is "work for Quality Chess" which is a business and like any business is ultimately designed to make money. I personally don't rank that as highly as volunteering and offering your time for free to coach, teach or support. In fact, come to think of it, its the opposite. On the issue of sponsorship - I think it is commendable but one swallow doesn't make a summer as the old saying goes.

In the interests of this thread not being highjacked I'll move back to the topic:

Mike said:
Quote:My feeling is that we should actually take a long term view and rather than spend resources on sending a few juniors to the Euros/Worlds we should be spending resources on making sure there is a national development scheme in place that ensures that all juniors are getting training and training in the right areas, so that when they do turn up at these events they already know their basic endings and their openings. The work done at these events should be more in the category of revision than anything else.

I again agree with Mike =| that we should spend our scarce resource on developing as many juniors as possible within the framework of a national development scheme. We need to take a longer term view and this would be to the benefit of junior chess in Scotland.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!

Messages In This Thread