Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess Scotland Constitution
Craig Pritchett Wrote:Gerald, in your most recent post you say (inter alia) that "Between General Meetings, Council is the voice of the membership and needs to reflect this" ... But is this really true?

... Surely the elected President + Management Board are (at least) as much a 'voice of the membership' as COUNCIL?

Isn't the expression "voice of the membership" just simply being used here as a conversational piece rather than a statement of council ? President + Management Board are already defined as part of council in the constitution and are therefore not actually excluded from the "voice of membership".

Much more importantly, your comments have been noted and we have consequently taken some of them on board and will, at Saturdays meeting bring them to the attendees. Additionally we will endeavour to post these changes, either as an Addendum, or as an updated version of the Constitution on the website - I just need someone to do it for us!

We do not currently see the need for any addition to Section 3 as you propose.

I have however added some of the more relevant constitution alterations to this posting.

Craig Pritchett Wrote:....can I suggest that the above four sub-clauses (about the role of Council) also need some tweaking? (9.2.2 - 9.2.5)
The CWP have made some changes to Section 9.2, and will be bringing them to the meeting on Saturday.
Quote:9.2. Powers and Duties of COUNCIL
9.2.1. To represent the Chess Scotland membership and act on behalf of the membership at COUNCIL meetings and between General Meetings.
9.2.2. To receive and approve reports on MANAGEMENT BOARD activities.
9.2.3. To provide updates on activities of COUNCIL members to the MANAGEMENT BOARD as necessary.
9.2.4. To approve a business plan and budget over an annual, or longer, period.
9.2.5. To approve the strategic direction for Chess Scotland.
9.2.6. To approve the creation of ad hoc committees as necessary, these committees may co-opt Individual members who are not COUNCIL members where specific expertise is required.
Consequently Section 8.2.4 has been changed
Quote:8.2.4. To manage ad hoc committees that may then co-opt Individual members who are not COUNCIL members

Craig Pritchett Wrote:By the way, if this isn't mentioned somewhere else, shouldn't Council be chaired by someone? I'd say it should be the President.
An extract from Section 14. Conduct of Meetings
Quote:14.1. The Chairman of all General meetings, COUNCIL and MANAGEMENT BOARD shall normally be the President, and in his or her absence the Administration Director. Failing that the meeting shall choose its own Chairman by simple majority vote.

Messages In This Thread