Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Domestic touraments survey
Ian

You say the following "why? because there is a growing trend to have more FIDE events which does not make them any more or any less fun. Some players, myself included take them as serious as normal time control events"........FIDE Rated weekend tournaments make it less fun to me.
Despite being Scotland's "Mr Consistent" successful weekend player over the last 20+ years, I do not like Fide Rated weekend events. Players should have a choice before the event to have their games graded or not.
I do not pay lots of money abroad trying to get norms and increase my Fide Rating to just throw them away at weekend events.
Higher rated players at weekend Fide events risk more as their expected score is normally between 4 - 4.5. They have much more to lose than gain. One loss means you won't be able to avoid a rating loss.
I want to play weekend tournaments and have fun after a hard week at work. I don't want the added pressure of having to perform at weekends too.
You have longer to prepare at Fide Rated Internationals. The draw for each round is up well in advance, not 5 minutes before a round where you have no time to remind yourself of theory that could be crucial. You also go into your games more refreshed in an International event.
The Edinburgh congress is a great and strong event. They brought in a fantastic initiative of free entry to titled players as compensation to making it a Fide event. Despite being great I have not played there in so many years.
The Richardson should only be Fide Rated if you know the colour and the opponent you are most likely to play, rather than choice of two colours and a possible 4 opponents.

Messages In This Thread