Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AGM proposals
To Andy Burnett

Hi Andy.

“As for point 2, is there any particular reason for wanting 'grandparent' rather than 'parent' as the qualifying criteria? I imagine this is the norm for other countries/other sports -just wondering if there were other reasons?!”

No particular reason Andy. I just want it to be voted on, so the membership can decide – after all we’ve been told often enough they have the choice but it’s NOT currently on offer. If it’s not voted on it will likely be decided by the preferences of a small group of people. After the vote it will be known what the membership want.

OK you would suggest adding (highlighted) “must be a member of Chess Scotland, be registered as Scottish with FIDE and must …” !? (This would only affect the Championship as you say as International selections would require the SCO code already).

That’s fine, another thing that I think should be voted on - if it seems that might be the general feeling it can be added as an amendment or (better) put as another motion like I did with the grandparent rule. I didn’t want to add it myself as I’ve never had a problem with Mark Orr who’s played in it for 35 years being Scottish Champion!

“Also, if Jacob decided he wanted to represent SCO again…”

I intended this would be to dealt with by the Operating Procedures (the bit in brackets). I didn’t want to try to write the whole section myself, not least because there are aspects I know little about.

In my proposal the Operating Procedures deal with ….“any ‘fadeout’ period for players qualifying on residence that later leave Scotland”. You could add “or change registered country", or words to that effect.

Members can specify additional criteria – this might be a good place to do it or might be better as an amendment or, again, if another motion followed it so the choice would be clear.

Cheers

Messages In This Thread