Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheating
I did have this on the agenda for the Council meeting but decided to withdraw it as I am not far enough along with my idea on the best way to deal with this.

Here are my thoughts at the moment but as I say it is a long way off at the moment as I need to consult with my collegues on the ACC about one of the aspects of this.

My ultimate preference (which would take quite a bit of setting up) would be for a Anti Cheating Committee (although a better name would be needed) and adoption of a system not unlike FIDE's whereas the committee investigates and educates (the education piece is the most important) with findings of the investigation passed on to a second body for "inspection" and delivery of sentence. (Could this be Standards Committee? I don't know)

For FIDE rated games we are ok as it would all be handled by the FIDE system. This would be for domestic games only.

Education piece is around prevention, what to look for etc etc

Sentences for people caught cheating (IMHO)? For a "Gross" offence (using phone in the toilet a la our Georgian GM etc) has to be a ban, Second offence life ban. I am with Geoff here no one goes to a congress etc with the intention of knocking pieces off, however someone using their phone has pre planned it.

Out of interest, I have now worked out two ways to check if a player has been using a mobile phone in the toilet (without using hidden cameras or a search!!) will be testing this at congresses but will have to ask someone who has finished their game to do it to test as I don't expect to catch anyone!! I don't think we have a cheating problem here!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"

Messages In This Thread