Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ayr 2015
Although I agree with Andrew on the topic of prize fund distribution, I understand arguments for both sides.

I think the distribution of prizes between sections should ultimately come down to what's best for chess in Scotland overall. Of course, the argument for equity is important, but there's a reason payouts are structured in other sports with higher tiers having higher prizes. We want to encourage stronger absolute performance rather than comparative, surely? If prizes are identical in all sections, you only have intrinsic motivation to improve your game (no monetary incentive) - at least domestically. Also, the argument "I don't want my money going towards the top section prize fund" is kind of moot. The majority of your Chess Scotland membership fees goes towards paying for our top teams to play on the international level (i.e. rewarding ability).

I think it's great to see Scottish titled players at the weekenders... I'm really going to miss Ayr this year! Keep up the good work, David.

Messages In This Thread