Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Council meeting
David Deary Wrote:The eagle eyed amongst you who checked the proposed budgets will have no doubt noticed there is no big increase in income from junior grading. How can this be? For a while now there has been a discussion relating to what’s in it for junior organisations to affiliate to Chess Scotland. Well, for a long time junior games played by those aged 14 and under have not paid for grading, this is a service provided by Chess Scotland at no cost to the junior organisers.

The proposal as I now understand it, although admittedly it may not be very clear is that these proposed fees would be waived for junior organisations that affiliated to Chess Scotland at an annual cost of £40. I believe Lothian Junior Chess are already affiliated to Chess Scotland and thus these proposed fees would not impact them.

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion on this thread, I am happy to answer any queries and ready to be corrected by one of the other Directors/Council Members if I have misunderstood the proposal.
I will rephrase my question for clarity.

Apart from the grading what benefit is is to affiliate? SJC have always done things for CS not the other way round.
Jacqui Thomas Wrote:Apart from the grading what benefit is is to affiliate? SJC have always done things for CS not the other way round.

I think the insinuation is that you would pay less to get the games graded if you are affiliated, which at the moment is free but not free in the future If that is the case then I would like to know who approves the affiliation? Is this affiliation at local, regional or national level and where is this affiliation in the constitution. Also would Chess Scotland have a say in for example the SJC are associated with the Lanarkshire Chess League. Do I have to register an affiliation for the work I do or do I have to pay for grading as well? I know David Congalton is in a difficult position regarding the budget but i'm not convinced this is the way forward. I personally think fund raising activities such as simuls and promoting chess in general can only help maybe at the Uni or college level. I also think direct contact between secondary schools and local chess clubs should be encouraged.
Quote:
Alex Gillies Wrote:
Quote:Is it just me or is this getting all too political again?

In seems fair to raise the subject of charging juniors U14, especially if its a minimal/nominal amount as appears to be suggested - however with such a fundamental change its clearly likely to antagonise SJC and perhaps others rather than raise any significant revenue (£40 here or there?) Also I have to wonder why now and why wasn't it raised at last years AGM or left for this years?

I think its time we looked at a customer services director tasked with uniting SJC and SC. volunteers anyone? full combat uniform provided.

It's not you Alex!

SC and SJC were united; others thought it better not to be united and split.
If I understand the "proposal" correctly, junior organisations can affiliate to CS for an annual fee of £40. They would be encouraged to join a CS junior board to cooperate and share ideas. All their U14 games would be graded for free. I would imagine that David Deary would wish them to run junior CS events.

This seems to make a great deal of sense.
Patrick McGovern Wrote:It's not you Alex!

SC and SJC were united; others thought it better not to be united and split.

& you know exactly why so don't know why you are dragging that up as it's not the issue here Pat.
robin moore Wrote:If I understand the "proposal" correctly, junior organisations can affiliate to CS for an annual fee of £40. They would be encouraged to join a CS junior board to cooperate and share ideas. All their U14 games would be graded for free. I would imagine that David Deary would wish them to run junior CS events.

This seems to make a great deal of sense.

Spot on Robin that's what i thought too. We are needed to run CS & are terrible people because we won't play ball. Please tell me why you think it would be right for SJC to pay CS for the honour of running their events for them. Especially when CS have 3 appointed junior Directors to do that job, as those of SJC, that were CS Directors in the past did for CS & continued to do so for a few years beyond.

It's not the point here.

The point is it's a proposal that has been put forward that will harm grass root junior chess in the long run because do you honestly think events like the Lanarkshire Primary Team will be graded by CS if the charge is implemented.
Jacqui,

SJC are not "needed to run CS" or are "terrible people". As far as I can make out David Deary, the CS Home Junior Director is trying to bring all junior organisations together to work for the benefit of junior chess in Scotland.

I am sure most folk will agree that is something everyone wishes.
Jacqui you credit me with more knowledge than i possess. All i know is there was unity, then a split. i do not know the politics, reasons or people involved in the issues at that time. However what i do feel that no matter what anyone proposes from any side there will not be unity in the foreseeable future.
It does seem a rather strange time to introduce a grading fee for under 14's when there is possibly going to be a root and branch change to how Chess Scotland is funded. Would it not be prudent to keep the present system of fees as they are until it is decided whether to go with a new funding model or not?
several questions regarding the Lanarkshire chess league who are already by definition ( I assume) already affiliated to Chess Scotland by virtue of paying registration fees

1. If the Lanarkshire chess league (LCL) submit a tournament for grading (U14) how much does it pay? or is it free?
2. If the SJC is affiliated in turn to the LCL then by association does it pay the same fees even if not a member of Chess Scotland. It is not just the SJC in Lanarkshire who submits primary school results for grading, so its not just them who are affected. For example getting Juniors graded can be a door opener for schools, both primary and secondary
3. What is the procedure for affiliation by both regional leagues and by Junior organisations?
4. How many Junior chess Organisations are there in Scotland and has there been a straw poll to get their views on this
5. Has there been a projection on much income can be expected on these proposed changes
6. if one or more junior organisations withdraw from Chess Scotland does that affect the method of international selection for the juniors. Would Chess Scotland affiliation/membership be a factor for determining Junior selection