Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess Scotland Event/ PVG
your PVG is not legal; you need to apply again. i have the equivalent of PVG status but if i were to run or arbit at a junior event i would not have proper PVG status
why is it not legal it was issued by disclosure Scotland recently and is an all encompassing disclosure . I am contacting disclosure Scotland and will pass on your comments for clarification.
Patrick McGovern Wrote:your PVG is not legal; you need to apply again. i have the equivalent of PVG status but if i were to run or arbit at a junior event i would not have proper PVG status

Pat, how is a PVG not legal if it was issued by Disclosure Scotland?

To be able to be an Chess Scotland arbiter, the person would need to fulfill the Arbiter Critera and pass on the PVG scheme number to Chess Scotland who would then make a note of interest in the Scheme. At no stage would the person need to reapply for PVG. This was the old disclosure scheme and was thankfully scrapped as people ended up holding 8 or 9 disclosures.

How do I know this? The School I was coaching at asked me if I have PVG, took the scheme number and registered an interest in it. This is how PVG is supposed to work. You have a single scheme number and they are notified if something in your status changes. Disclosure did not work this way and was badly flawed in that I could get disclosure and "do something" that would cancel that, but it would not have come to light until it was refreshed normally 3 or more years later.

We don't have a scheme for tournament organizers so I am not sure how it would work as Ian has mentioned.

I suppose you can take the situation where you have juniors at the club. Does the whole club have to be PVG'd?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Hi Pat/Andy
I have spoken to disclosure Scotland at length. Here is the situation and if anyone doesnt agree I STRONGLY SUGGEST they contact Discloure Scotland. Basically there is no question of legality and PVG is not required at all. What PVG is used for is simpoly a check that the holder had no convictions etc on the day it is issued It is not a legal document and therefore not a legal requirement. I am therfore ncovered and can supply my details to any organisation that requests it
Hi Ian,

What terms of reference? Disclosure Scotland cannot be suggesting that a Coach or Chaperone does not need some sort of clearance or are you speaking about arbiters?
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:To be honest, the best two people to answer this from a Chess Scotland perspective would be Dick Heathwood or Stephen Mannion Snr. I really don't know enough about the legislation to answer this dichotomy.

^This, anyone with any questions or queries should pose them to the people who are in the know. Their contact details are on the CS website - conjecture and extreme scenarios are only muddying the waters.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
I thought the rule was if you were agreeing with me then you are on the wrong side of the argument!

David, that would be my advice as well!
Ianbrownlee Wrote:What terms of reference? Disclosure Scotland cannot be suggesting that a Coach or Chaperone does not need some sort of clearance or are you speaking about arbiters?

HI Andy

DS are saying you do not require it per se. The organisation (e.g Chess Scotland) can ask you if you have PVG and ask for their details and CS can then decide if they are going to use you, but there is no legal requirement for you to have PVG. Chess Scotland can implement a policy of using only their arbiters and also to use arbiters etc which they have registered but that is a policy not a legal requirement PVG is only a statement whether you had a criminal conviction etc on the day it is issued. Its only other function is to update all organisations which have registered the holder as part of their policies/requirements
It is not a legal requirement although it can be argued ( I think) as part of due diligence on the part of the organisation. I can see the attraction of implementing such a policy especially to parents etc but it is not a shield against liability
I've got to say having looked into all this I find the article in Chess Scotland misleading ans]d as such I think this should be thoroughly discussed at the next council meeting asap. Chess Scotland have its policies and I completely respect that., It's the bit about tournaments outside Chess Scotland and non-chess Scotland arbiters that I find the article misleading
David Deary Wrote:
Andy Howie Wrote:To be honest, the best two people to answer this from a Chess Scotland perspective would be Dick Heathwood or Stephen Mannion Snr. I really don't know enough about the legislation to answer this dichotomy.

^This, anyone with any questions or queries should pose them to the people who are in the know. Their contact details are on the CS website - conjecture and extreme scenarios are only muddying the waters.
Or else they could come on here and discuss it.
I await the EGM to properly discuss these various issues