Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chess Scotland Event/ PVG
while I'm at it what constitutes a Chess Scotland event and is the SNCL a Chess Scotland event. The reason I ask is that I cant tell which events are under the Chess Scotland umbrella.

I have had my PVG from Disclosure Scotland but I haven't registered it with Chess Scotland because quite frankly I felt I didn't need to. My indication from Disclosure Scotland is that I am answerable to them alone but I am going to double check this. From a tournament organiser point of view does that mean I have to bar myself from running or bar Juniors from playing in it. Dr Phil Thomas is a qualified and most competent arbiter so does this mean I cant use him as an arbiter? There was an occasion this year when the arbiter was running late and Michael Hanley stepped in. Again does this mean I cant do this or is for Chess Scotland events only. if this is the case what are the advantages of having a chess Scotland run event if it puts an extra overhead on the tournament. I honestly don't see why an arbiter has to be registered with Chess Scotland and why my PVG has to be registered with Chess Scotland either
Hi Ian, in the CS policy document the following appears to make clear the need for the rules re PVG they have in place
Quote:The Chess Scotland PVG policy ensures compliance with the provisions of the Protection of Children (Scotland) Act 2003, Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007, and the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) (Scotland) Act 2007.

there is a legal requirement to have rules in place when working with young and vulnerable people.

Quote:Whilst the basic function of Chess Scotland is to promote chess, it is important that chess related activity is carried out within an environment that regards as its prime concern the welfare of any child or protected adult. Chess Scotland must take all reasonable steps to ensure that those who have regular contact with children and protected adults through paid and unpaid work do not have a known history of harmful behaviour or be otherwise considered as unsuitable to undertake regulated work.
i dont think anyone would disagree with this.

Quote:it would be good practice for clubs and congresses to ensure that those involved in regular contact with juniors and therefore undertaking regulated work, has completed the form "Application to Join PVG Scheme" and has then obtained a satisfactory "PVG Scheme Record" (formerly Disclosure Certificate). The good practice recommendation is further reinforced where the club or congress is encouraging junior chess players to participate, e.g. a junior section of a chess club or a junior chess event.
I would be very surprised if any organiser would be irresponsible enough to use people who are not on the approved list.
yeah Pat I agree with that but it doesn't answer any of my questions, for example is the SNCL a chess Scotland event and should congresses indicate whether it is a chess Scotland event or not to avoid ambiguity. Are all congresses run by Chess Scotland and what about the chess leagues? What happens when congresses are not under the chess Scotland umbrella? Are games graded? As a holder of PVG within the schools network do I need to register with Chess Scotland in order to continue the work I am currently providing
perhaps Hamish or Andy could answer that Ian, i dont know which competitions/leagues etc are CS events or not.
The only events that are organised by Chess Scotland are the Scottish Championship and the events that come under the jurisdiction of the Home Director.

They are as follows.
1/ Richardson Cup
2/ Spens Cup/Campbell Rosebowl
3/ McIsaac Trophy
4/ Nancy Elder Trophy
5/ West of Scotland Championship
6/ East of Scotland Championship
7/ Team Lightning event

The SNCL is an independent event
I'm not involved in regular training, though I’ve been wondering some of those things Ian raised myself.

Ian, the latest post from the PVG signatories relates to use of the certificate: “One misconception about PVG is to think that when someone has a certificate of membership they can use that everywhere, a bit like a passport or driving licence. The truth of the matter is that, each time someone applies to undertake regulated work for a different organisation a new form has to be completed and submitted before they can do regulated work; it is a very short form which only takes a few seconds to complete.”

This may relate to the responsibilities of the organisation rather than the individual!?

Patrick’s responses from the CS documents seem to relate to ‘regular work’ and ‘normal duties’. There’s something here about work when ‘standing in’ being unlikely to be normal duties <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/guidance/infoforindivid/chap2_regulatedwork/2_6_step_4_normalduties.html">http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/gui ... uties.html</a><!-- m --> that may mean occasional controller would be OK?

Wasn’t there also something about where the activity might only involve occasional contact (like for example an adult tournament where some children might enter), it was outside the scope of the PVG?

Some clarification might be helpful. While the Chess Scotland PVG policy may “ensure compliance with the law”, it seems that the CS requirements may exceed the legal ones!? If there are additional legal requirements on CS as an organisation, it might be helpful if those were explained and separated from the individual’s own responsibility. If there aren’t then is it right to cite ‘the law’ as justification for placing additional responsibilities (that are not legally necessary ) on members (particularly as communications re PVG matters on the board are always locked to any discussion)?

I might have it wrong - open to correction
StevieHilton Wrote:The only events that are organised by Chess Scotland are the Scottish Championship and the events that come under the jurisdiction of the Home Director.

They are as follows.
1/ Richardson Cup
2/ Spens Cup/Campbell Rosebowl
3/ McIsaac Trophy
4/ Nancy Elder Trophy
5/ West of Scotland Championship
6/ East of Scotland Championship
7/ Team Lightning event

The SNCL is an independent event

Scottish Championship
Primary Individual
Primary Team are the only other ones I can think of
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Patrick McGovern Wrote:I would be very surprised if any organiser would be irresponsible enough to use people who are not on the approved list.

Pat, I am struggling to think of a tournament in Scotland bar David Congaltons that don't have someone arbiting that is not on the approved list (David uses 2 approved arbiters and 2 trainees)
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy,
I did mention the Scottish Championship in my thread.
The other two you mention I forgot about Big Grin
Andy I draw you attention to the recent Scottish Chess magazine article "Child Protection and Chess" ;
Quote:The law of Scotland demands that people
working with Children or Vulnerable Adults,
whether in paid employment or as volunteers,
as with Chess Scotland (CS), must be cleared
and registered to do so by obtaining a
disclosure record under the Protection of
Vulnerable Groups (PVG) Scheme. There are
no exceptions. Criminal offences can be
committed by an organisation or an individual
who fail to heed this law.

further
Quote:Congresses and Clubs must be aware
that they cannot use people who are not
cleared and registered with CS or their own
organisation to work with children without
running the risk of prosecution

Unless the article is completely wrong then the role and responsibility of congress/tournament directors is clear, no arbiter/controller can work with a junior unless they have up to date PVG clearance that is specific to that organisation.