Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Laws of Chess
Alex has been kind enough to upload the new laws of chess that come into force on 1 July, 2014 on the Chess Arbiters Association Website http://www.chessarbitersassociation.co.u...ss2014.pdf

Some interesting ideas!

Quote:The Laws of Chess have two parts: 1. Basic Rules of Play and 2. Competition Rules

Finally!!

Quote:4.6 The act of promotion may be performed in various ways:
1. the pawn does not have to be placed on the square of arrival,

We are going to have fun with that with the live boards Big Grin

Quote:6.7 a. The rules of a competition shall specify in advance a default time. Any player who
arrives at the chessboard after the default time shall lose the game unless the
arbiter decides otherwise.

Strike one for common sense.

Quote:7.5 a ...If the player has moved a pawn to the furthest distant rank, pressed the clock, but
not replaced the pawn with a new piece, the move is illegal. The pawn shall be
replaced by a queen of the same colour as the pawn.

I can see one or two stalemates arising from this one!

Quote:7.5 b b. After the action taken under Article 7.5.a, for the first completed illegal move by a
player the arbiter shall give two minutes extra time to his opponent; for the second
completed illegal move by the same player the arbiter shall declare the game lost
by this player. However, the game is drawn if the position is such that the
opponent cannot checkmate the player’s king by any possible series of legal
moves.

So we have moved from 3 illegal moves to 2! Some of the novice tournaments are going to be interesting now!

In various places when speaking about dealing with a player with a disability who can't keep score or use the clock
Quote:This adjustment of the clock shall not
apply to a player with a disability.

Common sense again!

Quote:9.6 If one or both of the following occur(s) then the game is drawn:
a. the same position has appeared, as in 9.2b, for at least five consecutive alternate
moves by each player.
b. the last 75 moves have been completed by each player without the movement of
any pawn and without any capture.

Note the word IS. Essentially if the players do not claim a draw after 3 fold or 50 moves then the arbiter can declare the game a draw. Would be hellish if you are trying one of the difficult endgames and get to within 1 move of wining and your opponent claims the draw (say on move 70) on the basis of 50 moves

Quote:11.2 The ‘playing venue’ is defined as the ‘playing area’, rest rooms, toilets, refreshment
area, area set aside for smoking and other places as designated by the arbiter.
The playing area is defined as the place where the games of a competition are played.
Only with the permission of the arbiter can
a. a player leave the playing venue.
b. the player having the move be allowed to leave the playing area.
c. A person who is neither a players nor arbiter be allowed access to the playing
area.

So we no longer can have parents in the hall at junior tournaments, photographers and television crew Big Grin

Quote:11.3 b b. During play, a player is forbidden to have a mobile phone and/or other electronic
means of communication in the playing venue. If it is evident that a player
brought such a device into the playing venue, he shall lose the game. The
opponent shall win.

So no hearing aids, tablets, radios etc etc. It continues...

Quote:The rules of a competition may specify a different, less severe, penalty.

Phew, but there is a further continuation...

Quote:The arbiter may require the player to allow his clothes, bags or other items to be
inspected, in private. The arbiter or a person authorised by the arbiter shall inspect
the player and shall be of the same gender as the player. If a player refuses to
cooperate with these obligations, the arbiter shall take measures in accordance
with Article 12.9.

So a new item to go into my arbiters case. Rubber gloves....

Quote:11.9 A player shall have the right to request from the arbiter an explanation of particular
points in the Laws of Chess

Strangely I thought a player always did. It would be a poor arbiter who did not explain a decision or help someone with a query on the laws

Quote:12.9 Options available to the arbiter concerning penalties:
g. a fine announced in advance

Oban 2014 is going to be fun. I am going to ask Duncan if we can make the penalty for a phone going off a round of drinks for the control team...

Quickplay finishes are now in an appendix as FIDE want us all to use incremental time controls

Quote:G.4 If the player having the move has less than two minutes left on his clock, he may
request that a time delay or cumulative time of an extra five seconds be introduced for
both players, if possible. The clocks shall then be set with the extra time; the opponent
shall be awarded two extra minutes and the game shall continue.

I have to say I like this. It gives the player who is clearly winning a chance to gamble on completing the win.

We now have a glossary as well

Quote:fair play: 12.2a. Whether justice has been done has sometimes to be considered when an
arbiter finds that the Laws are inadequate.

I think I know what they are saying....

Overall, looks like most of the madness has been removed. I'm off to source some rubber gloves...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Does the new laws in regards to communication mean that a blind /visually impaired player cannot make use of a dictaphone then as a means of recording his/her moves?
If this is so, then that is discriminatory, also goes against the rules of play regarding the blind
Appendix D. Rules for play with blind and visually disabled players

D2 6. The visually disabled player must keep score of the game in Braille or longhand,
or record the moves on a recording device.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
I do think there needs to be clarification on what is considered an electronic communications device. Clearly something like a hearing aid should be allowed, as should whatever blind players require to play the game. I'd also say that something like a watch shouldn't be an issue, as long as it's not able to communicate with someone outside the playing area and as long as any such device doesn't continually distract other players by making noises etc.
Andrew McHarg Wrote:I do think there needs to be clarification on what is considered an electronic communications device. Clearly something like a hearing aid should be allowed, as should whatever blind players require to play the game. I'd also say that something like a watch shouldn't be an issue, as long as it's not able to communicate with someone outside the playing area and as long as any such device doesn't continually distract other players by making noises etc.

There are phone built into watches these days Andrew Big Grin
Those should be banned from the playing area like a mobile phone would be! Big Grin
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the rubber gloves yet...
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Howie Wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned the rubber gloves yet...

I don't even want to think about that Big Grin
so am I right in assuming not only have the phones to be switched off but not in the playing venue at all and there is no leeway for the arbiter. Do the rules also cover any electronic equipment (for example in my shoes..)

P.S. Andy if I see rubber gloves in your case I'm off+!
Good in theory to ban phones from playing area, but just unworkable in practice as has been said many times before. Where are players meant to leave their phones during games?