Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phishing email
I have received a 'dodgy' email, ostensibly from Donald Wilson (text follows).
I have emailed Donald, in case he was not aware of what's happening.

Hello,

I am sorry for reaching you rather too late due to the situation of things right now.My family and I had a trip visiting Manila Philippines,everything was going on fine until last night when we got attacked by some unknown gunmen. All our money,phones and credit cards was stolen away including some valuable items, It was a terrible experience but the good thing is that they didn't hurt anyone or made away with our passports.

We have reported the incident to the local authorities and the consulate but their response was too casual, we were ask to come back in 2 weeks time for investigations to be made proper,But the truth is we can't wait till then as we have just got our return flight booked and is leaving in few hours from now but presently having problems sorting out our bills here and also getting a cab down to the airport, Right now we're financially strapped due to the unexpected robbery attack, Wondering if you can help us with a quick loan to sort out our bills and get back home. All we need is (£2,000 GBP ) I promise to refund you in full as soon as I return home hopefully tomorrow or next. write back now to let me know what you can do.

Thank You.

DONALD.
It definitely was not me - I've never been anywhere near the Philippines (for a start, I don't even have a passport).

All my "Contacts" have disappeared from my email, so I would struggle to sent strange messages even if I wanted to.

My advice to anyone setting up an email account is not to go anywhere near Yahoo - that company is a total (well, I'd better not say - it might be construed as libel.)
It's good to know that you and your family haven't been attacked by armed gunmen. I got same e-mail although I also thought it was suspicious so I checked here. If it helps e-mail is sent from account @btinternet.com and reply address is @live.com with rest being same. I hope your e-mail gets sorted out soon
It may also be worth changing your email account password.
Alan McGowan Wrote:I have received a 'dodgy' email, ostensibly from Donald Wilson (text follows).
I have emailed Donald, in case he was not aware of what's happening.

Hello,

I am sorry for reaching you rather too late due to the situation of things right now.My family and I had a trip visiting Manila Philippines,everything was going on fine until last night when we got attacked by some unknown gunmen. All our money,phones and credit cards was stolen away including some valuable items, It was a terrible experience but the good thing is that they didn't hurt anyone or made away with our passports.

We have reported the incident to the local authorities and the consulate but their response was too casual, we were ask to come back in 2 weeks time for investigations to be made proper,But the truth is we can't wait till then as we have just got our return flight booked and is leaving in few hours from now but presently having problems sorting out our bills here and also getting a cab down to the airport, Right now we're financially strapped due to the unexpected robbery attack, Wondering if you can help us with a quick loan to sort out our bills and get back home. All we need is (£2,000 GBP ) I promise to refund you in full as soon as I return home hopefully tomorrow or next. write back now to let me know what you can do.

Thank You.

DONALD.

132,000 Philippine Pesos on its way to your Philippine account now Donald... Get home safe!

How many people are actually fooled by these things?
you mean my 18 million Nigerian dollars wont be coming to my account after I sent £3000 to Prince Nakoomoo?? =|
Hi

I've had a few of these from chess people. It started with Bill Wall about 10 months ago.
Since then I've had 5 or 6.

Someone's email password has been nicked (apparently easily done) and the contacts box
has been raided.

Don't click on the link that comes with the email.

Change your password to one not conected with chess.
(most of you will have your favourite player/opening........computer.) =)
Geoff Chandler Wrote:......computer.) =)

Nooo... better change mine from Fritz12 to something else quickly... Big Grin
I had exactly the same email from 'Donald Wilson' this morning. It had the correct email address ('DW's), but it was obviously 'phishing' since I had - word for word except for the name of the 'supplicant' - the very same email from an OU tutor of mine some months ago, who also wound up in 'financial embarrassment' at Manila airport. 'DW's' email address has now been removed from my list of contacts - as was the OU tutor's soon after the last episode. To be honest, as a very innocent/naive/inexperienced silver surfer, I was relieved to see Alan McGowan's email since it meant that I was far from being the only recipient of 'DW's' 'plea'.

I've been with Yahoo for years but only in the last week I've seen similar vehemence regarding the security of their email service. One of those 'techie' experts writing in a national newspaper recommended never to use web mail but to use a domain name linked to a forwarding address as one(?) way to avoid email problems/secure service. That may be useful advice to them what have the know-how to use it, but to an innocent like myself it's rather scary.
this is a common problem with this type of scamming email. Your email contact list gets harvested and emails are then sent on etc etc Funnily enough I checked a clients computer who had this with an online email system and to my horror there were redirected viruses on the local computer (fixed by downloading a free copy of malwarebytes.) there was also a redirection to phoney websites and a keylogger malware file so check your computer out. I also hear it downloads on to users computers who cannot find their way to Helensburgh or to users computers that give moderators a hard tim