Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equipment for Disabled Players
And your point Clement is??? I don't understand how you came to the conclusion that you came to. My argument is perfectly valid

David
I have no problem is the use of the word disabled
I suppose the argument is Should Chess Scotland be expected to provide equipment for disabled players?

My concern is a real one and that is where does it stop? If we get the talking clocks then by the same argument we need to buy tactile boards so we have the equipment. We would also need to purchase dictaphones for recording moves.

There there are people who have other conditions that prevent them from keeping score. If we are helping one group then we really have to help the others or we are actually discriminating. So add Mon Roi's to the shopping list.

I can't think of anything else but I'm sure others can.

There then is the question of where it is stored? As it is at the moment the kit is passed on from congress to congress, I hold the DGT boards but what would we do with the specialized Kit. I certainly would not want to see it used in congresses as we need it for when someone really needs it.

We really need to work out all the equipment we need for this and I would suggest we then approach the lottery fund. They really love funding this kind of stuff. Is it the right thing to do? I would say yes, I am not against this but it has to be done properly and not willy nilly.
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy H,
I agree with you that this has to be done carefully.
It is only clocks that are the issue. I have never asked for provision of braille sets or dictaphones. Or equipment in wring in braille Big Grin which I will do at the Scottish just for you and Alex!! Big Grin
There are not many players who are visually handicapped, so not that many clocks are needed.
There are those who are deaf/blind, so digital clocks cannot be used in games involving them. David mentioned t in a previous response that an analogue clock would have to be used with an alternative time control.
I agree that this will require a lot of preparation before submitting for a lottery bid

The rules regarding the taking down of moves will need to take into account a players circumstances.
Steve

I don't want to rain on your lottery parade but I am currently preparing the grant application for CS, which is now administered by the Big Lottery Fund.

The application form for this is very similar to the one that would be completed for a seperate application for equipment for the disabled.

One of the very early key questions in the application is "Is there an identifiable need?" Hence, the reason I have asked the question myself three times and without reply.

If the need isn't identifiable at the moment, I would suggest that seeing if it is should be the first step before anything else is done.

I have an item or two I would like to add to the list. Who is taking this task on, so that I can e-mail them the details privately?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
Phil Thomas Wrote:David,
Are you trying to make the point that there are many ways to make money ?

Something like that. Its an occupational hazard. Big Grin

Phil Thomas Wrote:I thought that 0128 would be an easy number for chess player to remember,
Being the number of squares on two chess boards - And after all this debate is about a form of chess that requires two chess boards.

I did wonder why you used 0128. It makes sense when you say it like that.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional!
To answer both points raised in this thread simultaneously, 123 is what you press to get the talking clock. Does that help? Wink
I may be speaking out of turn but if we have a surplus from the previous year's budget could we not purchase a couple of talking clocks not just for our disabled colleagues but for our arbiters to gain experience in using them. I personally would find them off-putting but I believe that if this is where we are going we should all be getting used to them
Ian,
The talking clock can operate the exact same way as a regular digital clock. It only becomes a talking clock with the addition of a set of earplugs Big Grin You did not seem to have any problems in using mine when we played in the SNCL earlier this season. They are very easy to program, with fixed time controls including those with increments, as well as being able to putting in your own time controls.
in which case there is no problem at all i thought the talking clocks were audible to all which shows my ignorance. Why dont we get one or two provided there is a need for them.