Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equipment for Disabled Players
David,
I am not singling out Prestwick I ask you to withdraw that remark. Prestwick as far as I know are the only congress so far that has announced its intention to use this type of time control . My Arguments would still be the same regardless of where the tournament is being held My concerns are legitimate.

As regards the time control itself. I have spoken to a number of blind and visually handicapped players throughout the world who have played in these type of tournaments, and they have told me that the time is proving difficult for them to adjust to Until the coming of digital clocks, We relied on feeling the clock face on a tactile clock. Unless the clock is talking, a digital clock is not much use to a blind player Can you say that is fair?
I really don't get what the problem is. So I'll ask again, is there an identifiable need for this equipment?

In other words how many Scottish players are there who have played in just one congress, in say the last ten years, and currently would use a tactile clock?

It may also be helpful to know how many Scottish players who are chess club members in Scotland currently use tactile clocks and would benefit from talking digital clocks, should incremental time controls become more prevalant in Scotland.

We can then at least consider the implications of incremental time controls based on current facts and not generalisations and what if scenarios.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
David G Congalton Wrote:I really don't get what the problem is. So I'll ask again, is there an identifiable need for this equipment?

In other words how many Scottish players are there who have played in just one congress, in say the last ten years, and currently would use a tactile clock?

It may also be helpful to know how many Scottish players who are chess club members in Scotland currently use tactile clocks and would benefit from talking digital clocks, should incremental time controls become more prevalant in Scotland.

We can then at least consider the implications of incremental time controls based on current facts and not generalisations and what if scenarios.

Pehaps the lack of players using tactile clocks is linked to the difficulty and cost involved in getting access to such equipment.

Sounds like this impossible to answer question - "what came first the turkey or the egg?"
Phil Thomas Wrote:Pehaps the lack of players using tactile clocks is linked to the difficulty and cost involved in getting access to such equipment.

Sounds like this impossible to answer question

Phil, I don't think it's an impossible to answer question at all. I know the cost of tactile clocks and have a source.

I'm sure Steve and those involved in the IBCA and BCA must have an idea (or at least a much better idea than me) of the number of players playing currently in the UK and maybe even Scotland. Perhaps they even have an idea of the number of players who have expressed an interest in playing. They also seem like a very good place for visually impaired players to contact for further information.

BCA Website Wrote:We run an audio library of chess literature on tape, CD and MP3 format. We make some of the vast number of printed chess books available as e-books. We offer free coaching and tuition. Our technical committee work to ensure that visually impaired players have good quality adapted chess sets and chess clocks. We offer advice on the use of Fritz and other chess software by blind people......In addition to the generous financial support we give to leading players in international events we encourage our grass roots members to participate in mainstream events and overseas events by offering them a grant to offset some of the costs of travel and accommodation.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
David,
I cannot answer for the able bodied chess player. There are clubs who who still use analogue clocks. tactile clocks are analogue clocks that can be used by blind/visually impaired players. I still use one if needed. John Dearie uses one.

The only company I know of that is making tactile clocks is GARDE in Gerrmany. They are charging 70-80 euros a clock.. The BCA got the RNIB to modify some analogue clocks a couple of years ago. There are less than a hundred braille active players playing in the UK. Not every braille player is a member of the BCA. They all play in England in both braille and mainstream events.
Regular federations such as CS have to support all players disabled or otherwise as much as is possible
BCA Website Wrote:Braille Chess Clocks

There are modifications to chess equipment to allow visually impaired people to access a chess clock, which they are allowed to touch during tournament and league play.

In principal, a Braille Chess clock has the glass removed from the two clock faces, enabling the player to lightly touch the hands and feel additional markings, which have been placed on the clock face, so that he can determine the time. These clocks are analog and require winding up. Some more modern clocks have an additional last 5-minutes adjustment, which extends the hour-hand outside the rim of the clock face, to aid in the easier assessment of the time in the time scramble.

The BCA have just received a batch of new Braille clocks. These are factory-produced by Garde with a Braille clock face, with raised markings for the last 5 minutes before the hour.

The BCA are currently selling these at £30 each to members of our association.

We are always developing our styles and thoughts on chess clocks, so if you have any comments, or wish to know more about our Braille chess clocks, as well as about enquiring about buying one, please contact the technical team.
So, give the man £30.00 so he can buy it and then donate it to Chess Scotland so that is available for Prestwick 2013 and other tournaments. Simples - as the meerkat would say?
George Murphy Wrote:So, give the man £30.00 so he can buy it and then donate it to Chess Scotland so that is available for Prestwick 2013 and other tournaments. Simples - as the meerkat would say?

But that clock isn't capable of using increment?
Steve

A compromise for Prestwick has been suggested to me.

I believe, correct me if I’m wrong, that the incremental time control directly affects only two players at the moment that I am aware of, you and John Dearie.

I am more than happy to accommodate John, should he wish to enter and would, with the assistance of the control team employ a different time control for John and his five opponents. We chess players have to stick together so I am sure the opponents would have no issue with this. Besides the organiser reserves the right etc.. The suggested time control was all moves in 2 hours, as last year.

As for your good self, I assume you personally have no problem playing to the incremental time control and would be happy to bring along your talking clock.

We can deal with any other issues on a by issue basis, as most, if not all, voluntary organisers have done for a good number of years.

George Murphy Wrote:So, give the man £30.00 so he can buy it and then donate it to Chess Scotland so that is available for Prestwick 2013 and other tournaments. Simples - as the meerkat would say?

Sorry George, are you suggesting I give out the £30 or am I buying the clock?
David,

No. I'm not suggesting you fund it. I was thinking more along the lines of Chess Scotland: Steve insists CS must help....

But, Jonathan has put his finger on a tender point. This particular clock would not cater for increments? Pity.

George