Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
offering a draw etiquette
Especially if they do it with a scary-looking move.
1. Alan is right what do you do if your opponent leaves the table everytime you want to offer a draw
2. when do I write down my move after I make it but before I offer a draw or before I hit the clock
3. What happens if I write on the scoresheets comments like " I'm easily winning" or "my opponents a nut job" Can I be punished ( I think I know the answer to this one!)
4. Is there a difinite location for guidence in these matters. I'm perplexed as to the myriad of information being offered
If you want to offer a draw but your opponent is not at the board, I recommend the following:
1. Make your move.
2. Press your clock as normal (don't pause the clock - your opponent's clock should be running).
3. Wait at or near the board until your opponent returns, and before he sits down or starts to consider his reply say something like: "I have just played X and I offer you a draw."
You haven't wasted any of your time waiting for your opponent, and you haven't disturbed his concentration - everybody should be happy.
What is the correct way to accept a draw when your opponent is away from the board? Obviously if you see them in the room you can wave to them or something, but what do you do when you have no idea where they are and your time is ticking down? I mean, do you just set the pieces up and stop the clocks?

As far as offering draws in games, I don't really care when or where my opponent offers, I just think of it as part of the psychology in chess. For example, if your opponent needs to win for cash, and you offer a draw somewhere level, it sets your stall out so they are the one who has to make something happen, and sometimes your opponent can overpress. Offering a draw can work out as a very strong move!
the correct way of offering a draw (unless it's a junior) is, "would you like a draw and a pint? Big Grin
Failure to do that will almost always meet with a negative answer.
I notice those who disagreed with my suggestion that offering a draw when your position is worse is 'bad form' are all up and coming young whippersnappers. =) In my, more genteel, day chess was a game for gentlemen (that's probably my rose tinted specs) and good sportsmanship was important (that too). Offering a draw when one believed one was losing, or even just worse, was not a gentlemanly way to try to salvage half a point. If you think you are worse but believe your opponent can't win, prove it over the board, or leave it to him to offer the draw.
I don't see a problem with offering a draw during your opponents move, maybe it is not strictly speaking within the rules, but many people do it and are never punished ;P
JRedpath Wrote:I don't see a problem with offering a draw during your opponents move, maybe it is not strictly speaking within the rules, but many people do it and are never punished ;P

Shame on you Joe - you're no longer a young whippersnapper!

Offering a draw during your opponent's thinking time is gamesmanship and would be harshly dealt with by me (if not the rules) ;|

I rarely offer draws, but would have no problem doing so when worse IF my opponent was low on time. Generally though, I am looking to win those worse positions anyway, as should most players!

P.S. To my shame, many years ago, I was facing mate in one (!) against an opponent some 700+ points lower graded than myself and offered a draw which he accepted immediately (he obviously hadn't noticed the mate). I can't say I feel too proud of myself for that though - I should have just resigned gracefully as there was nothing really at stake in the game.
Quote:P.S. To my shame, many years ago, I was facing mate in one (!) against an opponent some 700+ points lower graded than myself and offered a draw which he accepted immediately (he obviously hadn't noticed the mate). I can't say I feel too proud of myself for that though - I should have just resigned gracefully as there was nothing really at stake in the game.

I agree that offering the draw was, at best, dubious, but why resign? It's perfectly acceptable to wait and see if your opponent spots the mate (unless you have a phobia about being mated!), which your opponent apparently didn't.
All this talk of draw offers.. The draw offer should just be banned until move 30/40. Too often it is used to distract the opponent, which is basically cheating in my book. Though this is not quite as unfair as intentionally distracting your opponent by e.g. constantly clearing your throat for all the tournament hall to hear. Wouldn't it be easier to just study a bit more chess rather resorting to underhand measures?