Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scottish Chess Championships - Edinburgh
(02-07-2022, 03:31 PM)amuir Wrote: I thought quick draws weren't allowed. Any spectators who have sneaked past the arbiters are getting short changed.

If you could point me to where in both the FIDE Laws of Chess and the Chess Scotland Championship rules as to where it states that short draws are not allowed, I will bring it to the attention of the Tournament Director.....
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
Andy Muir will be pleased with today's results!
6 decisive games and a 74-move draw.
Yes , I was pleased.
Andy B has had his Weetabix today! Is this a known line or a homebrew?
Despite the decelerated pairings, Murad will need to be downfloated past his four closest pursuers tomorrow.

Best laid plans... :-)
I came by venue at 5.30pm last night. If door was ajar I would have gone in. Missed the five mass draws on top boards.
The bye should be avoided by bringing in a substitute.
Nine of us went for a meal nearby - Craig turned up late as his game took a long time!
Is anyone in with a chance for an IM norm ?
There are five IMs and I looked up when they got their titles
https://www.icu.ie/articles/65
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Dunnington
They are all about 30 years ago
Pritchett 1976
McKay 1986
Bryson 1994
Orr 1988
Dunnington 1989

Reply from Alex:
Hi Andy,
I've changed computer and cannot at the moment log in to the forum as I cannot remember my password.
In answer to your question, yesterday's draws killed off everyone's norm chances. We had 4 or 5 players needing 2/2 to achieve a norm (unfortunately with the field it was always going to be 7/9 that was needed realistically).Whilst Murad can still get to 7 he would need to play a 2402 opponent in the last round.
Alex
The youngsters win again. Keith Ruxton is some player. He keeps getting dynamic positions.
(09-07-2022, 07:00 AM)amuir Wrote: I came by venue at 5.30pm last night. If door was ajar I would have gone in. Missed the five mass draws on top boards.
The bye should be avoided by bringing in a substitute.
Nine of us went for a meal nearby - Craig turned up late as his game took a long time!

Hi Andy
attempts were made but to try to get a substitute at this stage proved impossible.
Chess results state Murad Abdulla won championship on tie-break.
If that's right then Murad has won 3 titles at age 21.
People say that Freddy is the future of chess but Murad's achievements are impressive.