Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Malkovich Chess Game
I can still see that :S
Imagine a plane perpendicular to the computer screen at the level where the "invisible" text is located.

If I look at the screen from above the imaginary plane I cannot read the text; but if I look from below the plane I can read it.

I suspect the explanation has something to do with the polarity of the crystals in an LCD screen and of the material forming the surface of the screen, but I'll leave proper scientists to confirm whether or not that is the case.

It may be that on some laptops the text can be read from above the plane but not from below; it may also be that on an old-fashioned cathode-ray screen the text is visible from all angles or invisible from all angles.
You are right Donald, I can only see it looking from below the plane!

In any case I think we can get started with this, the whole point of the game is based on trust anyway, the only concern would be seeing something accidentally.

A few rules need to be clarified I think- Should the players be allowed to consult opening books/databases during the game or not? I'm not sure either way. Obviously engines/tablebases are prohibited.

Also I think anyone following the game should be able to discuss the game amongst themselves, obviously using the hidden text.

Andy B, how about I go White if the number of goals in the 4 champions league fixtures tonight is odd?
Clement Sreeves Wrote:think anyone following the game should be able to discuss the game amongst themselves, obviously using the hidden text.

You could have a thread for the game and another thread for discussion of the game.

Clement Sreeves Wrote:Should the players be allowed to consult opening books/databases during the game or not? I'm not sure either way.

I would suggest that it would be more interesting to spectators, if the reasoning behind moves came out of your head rather than a book. =o
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
It all sounds good to me : )

Books/databases I don't have a problem with either way - you decide Clement: as someone famous once said, 'I am the book'. In my case the 'Ladybird book of half-remembered, slightly off-beat , tricky-trappy openings' : )

*slightly off-topic, but I bought Andrew Soltis' book 'What it takes to become a chess master' last week, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Deals with all the positional aspects of chess which I need to learn/improve, but the examples are very high-level stuff mostly, so the title should read 'blahblahblah........(strong) Grandmaster.
OK, let's go with no assistance of any kind Smile
Clement Sreeves Wrote:OK, let's go with no assistance of any kind Smile

Ok, I'll lock the zimmer-frame away and put the ginkgo biloba back in the cabinet for the duration Tongue
Hold on a minute ! Clement still has one space available for junior online coaching. You had better get in touch with me now to grab it in case he turns out to be a no bad player and is inundated with requests!

Robin.
Arsenal 3-0 AC Milan
Benfica 2-0 Zenit St P'sbg

Guess this means I go first.

1.c4

[Image: 5ebhkx0rbanx.png]

Spoiler here>> I've played Andy 4 times over the board, and the score is 2-2 so far. I had an interesting decision on move 1 already! Normally I am a 1.e4 player, but in that case he would likely play the Sicilian Dragon. And I figured 25 moves of theory wouldn't make a very interesting game... I have experimented a bit in the past with 1.c4 and 1.Nf3, so it's not a total bluff! <<Spoiler here
Largely missed this thread as it developed, this being one of the forum's random busy weeks. Just wanted to say that this is a great idea and I'm really looking forward to watching the game!