Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batumi (Georgia) Olympiad
(01-10-2018, 12:11 PM)Andy Howie Wrote: Was laughing at the comment I have not been seen at the Playing hall yet.  So far between Karen and I we have been in 7 commissions, met with all three presidential candidates (and many others).  Hoping to get there tomorrow if the European meeting does not go too long!!!

I've almost been to as many!!!

But why does Andy B think Lara is a tailor?
(01-10-2018, 06:17 PM)Alex McFarlane Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 12:11 PM)Andy Howie Wrote: Was laughing at the comment I have not been seen at the Playing hall yet.  So far between Karen and I we have been in 7 commissions, met with all three presidential candidates (and many others).  Hoping to get there tomorrow if the European meeting does not go too long!!!

I've almost been to as many!!!

But why does Andy B think Lara is a tailor?

Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy Wink I had to pick one, seemed safest!
some fantastic individual scores : roddy 5/6 = 83.3%, keti (on home ground) 7.5/8 = 93.8%!!
we are also beating teams with bigger population: south sudan 12m, togo 8m !
superstars Roddy & Keti win again.
The Open team is certainly playing some exotic opponents , 2nd Caribbean opposition in a row tomorrow - lovely places for a holiday.
Keti has a better score than anyone else in the Womens' tournament. Hopefully she can keep it going. Unfortunately it won't lead to a board prize as nowadays that is decided purely on rating performance. But it should be recognised, if only by us.
(03-10-2018, 10:09 PM)Alastair White Wrote: Keti has a better score than anyone else in the Womens' tournament. Hopefully she can keep it going. Unfortunately it won't lead to a board prize as nowadays that is decided purely on rating performance. But it should be recognised, if only by us.

Keti wins another fine battling game and young Caitlin almost squares the match with good comeback only to slip in tricky ending. As a regular visitor to Barbados and its chess club, I think today's result is a great result for the island Nation with few strong players but not such a good one for our Open team. Fascinating watching the games every day and the tussle at top of the Open event is really intriguing.
Barbados has population of only 278,000 so a good result for them v Scotland.
(04-10-2018, 08:06 PM)Bamuir Wrote: Barbados has population of only 278,000 so a good result for them v Scotland.

Don't know who wrote report on main website but our Open opponents were Barbados not Bahamas ? Friends in Barbados are producing excellent reports on their Barbados Chess Federation Facebook site.
Good wins today by both of our teams ?
Here are some stats for the Open team.
Our final position of 94th is our lowest ever,
We finished below seeding for the 9th successive time. The last two times we finished above seeding were 1990 & 2000.
Roddy's % score of 7/8 (87.5%) is highest ever percent score for a Scottish player. He would have got 2nd place in board prize list on the old method of calculations of percentages (TPR is the new method).
To be fair to the Open team, none of our GMs were playing. After a disappointing loss to Barbados, we beat a highly rated team in the last round. We finished ahead of Wales, but behind Ireland who had GM Baburin.

In the Women's competition, Keti (who is of course a GM) scored 10.5/11 (95.5%) which is a truly stupendous score, and points wise the best score by anyone (Open or women's) at this year's Olympiad. But no board prize for that. The women's team finished ahead of both Ireland and Wales, and only slightly behind seeding.