Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batumi (Georgia) Olympiad
Haven't seen anything opted about this so here goes:

Live games are on Chess24, the official website and no doubt elsewhere. Pairings and results are on chessresults.com. Will post direct links later if no-one else does.

Just started...

Looks like the open teams opponents (Togo) haven't turned up yet, so could be a win by default. In the women's competition Monica's game (vs Gabon) is shown as 1.c4 1-0 so maybe her opponent isn't coming either. Keti is already winning massively after 8 moves or so. Today is not looking very watchable.
I note the official website has a picture of Hohenzollern castle representing the Scottish teams. Oh well, it isn't going to stop either team posting 4-0 today.
I wonder if Scotland's opponents defaulted today? I notice just 1 move by players with white and no moves with players on black.
Fault of organisers not to check teams arrived before pairing. Wasted day and means only 10 rounds for norm chances.
Following a probably unwanted 4-0 win by default in Rd 1 and a sore 0-4 thumping by the Dutch, Scotland have somehow managed to get paired with 175th seeds US Virgin Islands, who actually won in the first round against an even worse team (seeded 185, how did that pairing ever happen?). Another chance for a big win but maybe not quite what everyone wanted.

After their 4-0 win in the 1st round, the women faced highly-ranked England yesterday. Keti did very well to defeat Jovanka Houska; no joy elsewhere, although Monica was much better at one stage. However today's pairing against the Dominican Republic gives them a better chance.
Clement is playing fellow Scot John Dempsey today. I don't like these top half v bottom half swiss pairings which means you don't play players your own strength. Perhaps it should be random pairings for those on same score.
For those who don't visit the home page, Dougie is putting my daily reports up here...

https://www.chessscotland.com/news-post/batumi-reports/

...and there's loads of links to live games and stats there too courtesy of Dougie Smile Rest day today - my job, of course, is to find out all the gossip from the Bermuda Party last night Wink
(26-09-2018, 09:09 AM)amuir Wrote: Clement is playing fellow Scot John Dempsey today. I don't like these top half v bottom half swiss pairings which means you don't play players your own strength. Perhaps it should be random pairings  for those on same score.

The pairings are still a bit weird, even as far in as round 6. Apparently they are based on Match points, then S-B, then game points, which seems strange to me :/
Good win for Roddy yesterday. Is he really 66 years old ? He looks much younger than that in team photos I have seen on Facebook.
Was laughing at the comment I have not been seen at the Playing hall yet. So far between Karen and I we have been in 7 commissions, met with all three presidential candidates (and many others). Hoping to get there tomorrow if the European meeting does not go too long!!!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"