Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glorney Cup
We don't really know each other Andrew (Muir), but for simplicity I'll assume your motivations have integrity.

All I'll say is that I (and a great many others) have great admiration and respect for the extreme amount of time and effort David is contributing. Partly as a result of that, a growing number of people are inspired to get involved and help in a growing number of ways - it seems unfair to name one, but Liz Sams is proving invaluable in so many ways. Yes, all of this is a bit nascent and imperfect at times, but such is the messy reality of real life. If it were easy, I'd assume some long standing members like yourself would have long since ensured the legacy of those "glory" days. As Mr Corbin is finding out, however, one of the tricky things about leadership is that people have to choose to follow you.

Objectively, Liverpool went very well this year, the performance of some of our juniors in the Scottish Open was little short of remarkable and in the expanded 6 team Glorney one of our teams were in the prizes - and of course a few individuals distinguished themselves. Of course more improvement is possible and there is much that a player of your ability could do to assist with that.
I think David has done a sterling job this year and deserves praise for what he has achieved. I can see no reason for removing either the ID or the IJD this year. My faith in both is such that I am happy to nominate them
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
first of all as home director .....
David has done a brilliant job this and I have the utmost faith in how he is progressing the junior areas and he is and will be well supported in the future for his immeasurable efforts. The management board in general and David specifically have ideas on how to take this and the other arms in Chess Scotland (e.g Scottish championships, home events, international teams etc) forward in future including monetary and other means of support. Again David has taken the first steps and shown us how it can be done. No one is in a better position than David to progress the junior game in Scotland. I'm not patronising David in any way. To paraphrase some politician said once. the green shoots of progress are there. The management board are all working together bringing great ideas and innovations forward, just wait to see what the next year is bringing...

now as moderator...
we have had a bitch-free year on the forum which makes the moderator job easy to run. We are now allowing everyone to view the forums in the hope of new members and demonstrate to potential sponsors both how transparent we are and how we are progressing. In short the CS brand is open for business. What as moderator I will not allow are personal attacks. I will left the posts open for now but I will not tolerate questions about trust or mental capacity. Healthy debate is one thing- personal attacks are another and will not be tolerated.
Andy Howie Wrote:I think David has done a sterling job this year and deserves praise for what he has achieved. I can see no reason for removing either the ID or the IJD this year. My faith in both is such that I am happy to nominate them

Andy H – I want an unbiased election this year. How can all proxy votes be given to you when you have declared a preference for candidates? Last year you came armed with lots of Andy B proxy votes. This election will test whether this proxy system actually works or not.

I am expecting a lot of votes for the Junior ID position especially from our older members. To field a weak team in the Glorney Cup, a tournament which we haven’t won since 1965 is inexcusable. Several football managers have been sacked for similar things.

I am expecting a lot of votes for the Adult ID position especially from people who don’t tolerate personal attacks. There were dozens of blunders in the Championship this year but Andy B gleefully pointed out my Bryson blunder while the game was still in place. This is bullying.
Armed with votes for Andy B? Hardly from memory I had a handful. Now 50+ votes are what I call armed with votes. You wanting people to do that? Personally I hate it

So far you have made comments about Me, Andy and David. I would suggest if you are serious about going for the positions, you think carefully about what you are posting as if you are successful you report to one and have to work closely with the other!
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
amuir Wrote:
Andy Howie Wrote:I think David has done a sterling job this year and deserves praise for what he has achieved. I can see no reason for removing either the ID or the IJD this year. My faith in both is such that I am happy to nominate them

Andy H – I want an unbiased election this year. How can all proxy votes be given to you when you have declared a preference for candidates? Last year you came armed with lots of Andy B proxy votes. This election will test whether this proxy system actually works or not.

I am expecting a lot of votes for the Junior ID position especially from our older members. To field a weak team in the Glorney Cup, a tournament which we haven’t won since 1965 is inexcusable. Several football managers have been sacked for similar things.

I am expecting a lot of votes for the Adult ID position especially from people who don’t tolerate personal attacks. There were dozens of blunders in the Championship this year but Andy B gleefully pointed out my Bryson blunder while the game was still in place. This is bullying.

Andy, regarding your game v Dougie Bryson in the Scottish Championship, I was following that game closely with my Dragon book (ultimate dragon- Gufeld,Stetsko page 73) where you followed the book line. Andy B was kind enough to point out an improvement with a game and analysis which I am most grateful for. Helpful? Very much so. Bullying? Most certainly not.
I'm currently simmering in the Czech Republic. I'm going to take at least a day to cool down before responding to Andrew Muir. In the meantime, please stop putting down the junior players, all of whom are hurting just now and feeling the pain. The job now is to encourage, improve and work with them all, so they don't feel the same way in 12 months time.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk">http://www.scotchesstour.co.uk</a><!-- m -->
David G Congalton Wrote:I'm currently simmering in the Czech Republic. I'm going to take at least a day to cool down before responding to Andrew Muir. In the meantime, please stop putting down the junior players, all of whom are hurting just now and feeling the pain. The job now is to encourage, improve and work with them all, so they don't feel the same way in 12 months time.

Hear Hear!!

On a separate note, how do I go about getting one of those brilliant tops. Quite fancy one for wearing in Baku for the meetings
I look forward to the AGM and trust the membership to vote for what is best for the future of chess in Scotland. Hopefully it will be finished before our dinners get cold, failing which I trust that there will be at least one grateful granny on hand to console the loser.

Also - as a chessplayer, writer and journalist - I have never gleefully pointed out anyone's mistakes except for my own. Perhaps Robin might lend his Dragon book to those who are in need of it - you'll also find the line in question under the name 'Burnett Variation' in Gawain Jones' recent Quality Chess books on the opening.
amuir Wrote:I am expecting a lot of votes for the Adult ID position especially from people who don’t tolerate personal attacks. There were dozens of blunders in the Championship this year but Andy B gleefully pointed out my Bryson blunder while the game was still in place. This is bullying.

I will be providing my proxy votes to support candidates based on their track record as well as my assessment of their self awareness. On that basis I can tell you that I wont be voting for you for any post.