Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nigel Short lectures in Edinburgh
Jim Webster Wrote:I don't know much about GM group tuition fees, but is 15 hours worth of lectures at £10/hour that expensive?

Depends. Its extremely cheap compared to a one-on-one, but then the material would be tailored towards the individual. It's very expensive compared to a DVD, for similar length and name, which is just a general talk. If the material is very interactive, considering it is such a big name, then its about right. Fantastic that people will get the opportunity to go though, I'm sure he will be very interesting, although too expensive for me. I'll just make do with the free commentary streams he does online.
".... but they are not on a part of the game where I need most help."

I'll be covering how the pieces move a week before the lecture.

My fee ½oz of Golden Virginia.

I'm with Andy on the 1993 match. Super games. Sadly these days punters just look
at the final score without realising just how hard fought and double edged these games were.

I still have the poster of the match on my study wall. I might bring it along to get Nigel to sign it.

---

Is there a daily price for those who only make one day?
How about a third of £150.00.....I make that £30.00.
Uncannily the 'other' Nigel Short is visiting the Lothians at around the same time as the esteemed chess player. I can't make it to the chess lectures but Nigel (chess) will, I am sure, be tickled to hear of the clash. He is well aware of his famous musical namesake, which often creates confusion for random googlers of the 'Nigel Short' name.

So do pass on the information to Nigel and give him my warmest regards ... I am sure he will provide outstanding value for money. He is a class act.

The 'other' Nigel is one of Europe's foremost musicians. He will direct Tenebrae in a choral feast including works by Bruckner, Brahms and Rheinberger in the Lammermuir Festival, at St Mary's Church, Haddington on Fri 18 September. They were a big hit at the same venue last year.
Well, this has been and gone now and, honestly, this was the most enjoyable and instructive 15 hours I have ever spent looking at a chess board. Absolutely top rate. Congratulations to Jacob and Quality Chess for making it happen. Thank you to Edinburgh Chess Club for hosting and, of course, a big thanks to Nigel Short for allowing us access to his fascinating insights from the very top end of the chess world over the past 40 years. Absolutely tremendous!
+1

It had everything really. Even Carol Vorderman.
Great to hear it was such a success Smile Now....who's going to write a piece about it for the magazine? George? Paul? Declan? I could do with it by the October 10th Wink
+1

Thanks to Quality Chess and Nigel. Best lecture yet. Next up Dvoretsky? (pretty please)
Alan Tate Wrote:Thanks to Quality Chess and Nigel. Best lecture yet. Next up Dvoretsky? (pretty please)
Just Carol Vorderman would do for me Smile
Good idea in practice getting famous players to come to Scotland for this kind of lecture, however the price was excessive at £150
StevieHilton Wrote:Good idea in practice getting famous players to come to Scotland for this kind of lecture, however the price was excessive at £150

Mmmm. Whether is was excessive or not rather depends on the value you put on it. It's not like there is a queue of former World Champions or World Championship finalists desperate to come up to Scotland for 4 days to lecture. Quite possibly this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for most and Mr Short lived up to his billing.

£140 (it was) for around 16hrs with a World Championship finalist, former world no 3 and renowned speaker. Excessive? Get real, this isn't 1980. Also, I expect a profit was not made so it may well have been subsidised.

If it was excessive for your circumstances did you try speaking to Quality Chess first?