Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Scottish?
George Neave Wrote:Is the list of entrants on CS website up to date?
Are there any indications of what to expect in terms of IM and GM entries?
Quote:George Neave wrote:
Is the list of entrants on CS website up to date?
Are there any indications of what to expect in terms of IM and GM entries?
I've entered and I know at least one other (foreign) IM who definitely has ... would help to update the entries at the web-site ... I'm sure it will rapidly improve on the currently stated (01/05/2015) position ... and if not, there's some pretty good prize money at stake for a field that, at that date, still remained completely sub-2300!
I'm glad the entry list has been updated now.

The venue is superb, therefore, it is a bit disappointing to see the lack of entrants. If there are funds for titled players, it is important they are secured as early as possible. The first thing players do when deciding on playing a foreign tournament is to check who has entered. For example: http://rtuopen.lv/en/content/tournament.

Anyway, I am still really looking forward to this years Scottish.
Would love to have a field like that at the Scottish, maybe one year.

Already more players than the last time we held it in Edinburgh (38). I know Alex is working diligently to get titled players for the event and I am confident there will be sufficient there to give norm chances. Also good to see quite a few of our norm chasing players there. Nothing would give me more delight that having to print out that norm certificate on the final day!

Quick look at numbers since the start of the Open Era.

2015 Edinburgh 70 (Karen mentioned to me that we were now over 70)
2014 Glasgow 154
2013 Helensburgh 55
2012 Glasgow 113
2011 Edinburgh 38
2010 Hamilton 33
2009 Edinburgh 89
2008 Glasgow 55
"How sad to see, what used to be, a model of decorum and tranquility become like any other sport, a battleground for rival ideologies to slug it out with glee"
any idea why the numbers were so low at the chess centres of scotland?
Andy Howie Wrote:I know Alex is working diligently to get titled players for the event and I am confident there will be sufficient there to give norm chances.

Do we know expected numbers, or even better have a guarantee of a minimum number going to be recruited? Given the current size of field and the way the draw works, I'd guess we would need another 10-15 titled players to give a realistic norm shot. It's pretty difficult for people to enter not knowing this.
I find the wild fluctuation in numbers from year to year quite astonishing. :-\ :-\ :-\
Adam Bremner Wrote:
Andy Howie Wrote:I know Alex is working diligently to get titled players for the event and I am confident there will be sufficient there to give norm chances.

Do we know expected numbers, or even better have a guarantee of a minimum number going to be recruited? Given the current size of field and the way the draw works, I'd guess we would need another 10-15 titled players to give a realistic norm shot. It's pretty difficult for people to enter not knowing this.

Not sure if titled players get terms but, if so, maybe a requirement should be that they enter 2-3 months in advance. Like Adam says, not knowing this completely kills this as potential event for anyone with a significant work or family commitment.
...and, by the way, I still think winner of the Scottish should be awarded with a place in the Olympiad team. Keeps the interest in absence of any norms opportunities and may even flush out a few more Olympiad regulars to take part even.