Forums
Tromso Olympiad 2014 - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Tournaments and Events (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Tromso Olympiad 2014 (/thread-838.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - David Deary - 18-03-2014

Any news on the team? All players confirmed? :-w

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - amuir - 18-03-2014

Sadly a few headaches, further delays

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - David Deary - 18-03-2014

Thanks Andy, I'd guessed there may have been. Won't pester you any further. Wink

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - amuir - 24-03-2014

We are still left with 9 people booked, 3 undecided.
It doesn't seem right that some people (including me as captain) booked flights the same day as they knew they could go while others don't. I shall be phoning the 3 people today to chase. They cannot procrastinate indefinitely especially as flight costs will rise.

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - robin moore - 24-03-2014

Andy,

Reading between the lines here, you have clearly been put in a difficult situation. Best of luck in sorting it out.

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - amuir - 24-03-2014

As others want to know the situation, I will try and do weekly updates

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - andyburnett - 24-03-2014

amuir Wrote:We are still left with 9 people booked, 3 undecided.
It doesn't seem right that some people (including me as captain) booked flights the same day as they knew they could go while others don't. I shall be phoning the 3 people today to chase. They cannot procrastinate indefinitely especially as flight costs will rise.

Updates are welcome, thank you.

Out of interest you might be able to answer a few questions I have Andy...

-Was anyone else, other than yourself, considered for or offered the Open team captaincy?
-Has there been any disagreement about the choice of captain?
-Will there be 'outside' assistance - a 'vice-captain' of sorts, perhaps helping out in specific areas?
-Is your captain's role being covered within your Olympiad budget?
-If 'outside help' is being given/considered, will their costs be met by CS also?
-Have you set a deadline for the '3 others' to confirm/book flights/etc?

I hope these questions don't tax you unduly at a busy time. Thanks in advance. Andy Burnett

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - amuir - 25-03-2014

Andy
There was disagreement about me being captain and about player selection too. This is normal and difficult choices had to be made. I will be setting a deadline for replies. It is likely the costs will be slightly over budget and that some people will not be 100% funded. This will be decided democratically after the tournament when full costs known. The other questions cannot be answered yet as people are still making up their minds. Disappointingly two of our best players , Jonathan Rowson and Paul Motwani have declined to play.

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - George Neave - 25-03-2014

amuir Wrote:Andy
There was disagreement about me being captain and about player selection too. This is normal and difficult choices had to be made. I will be setting a deadline for replies. It is likely the costs will be slightly over budget and that some people will not be 100% funded. This will be decided democratically after the tournament when full costs known. The other questions cannot be answered yet as people are still making up their minds. Disappointingly two of our best players , Jonathan Rowson and Paul Motwani have declined to play.

I don't think it matters we have only the highest rated players. We want players proud and also keen to get the opportunity to represent their country. Set a deadline and then offer to others if deadline passes.

I hope the Scottish Champion was offered a place Wink

No disrespect intended but I hope captaincy is not you appointing yourself. I assume there is some independent panel that has been appointed to select? This is simply good practice.

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - andyburnett - 25-03-2014

Quote:No disrespect intended but I hope captaincy is not you appointing yourself. I assume there is some independent panel that has been appointed to select? This is simply good practice.

Andy, I really think you ought to answer this one. It's a very fair question (and point) George is making. Very important ones also.