Forums
Tromso Olympiad 2014 - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Tournaments and Events (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Tromso Olympiad 2014 (/thread-838.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - Alan Tate - 14-09-2014

amuir Wrote:Who should appoint the captain ? Who should be the selectors ? Who has leaked emails ? What do you want to talk about first ? The selections were made in good time. How do you want to change the status quo ?

Selection panel appoints captain. Players can recommend but final say should be by the panel.

Anyone who is not a player can select.

I don't know, but I have a feeling you do.

Actually no, you had already appointed yourself as captain before I had been selected.

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - amuir - 14-09-2014

"Selection panel appoints captain. Players can recommend but final say should be by the panel.
Anyone who is not a player can select.
I don't know, but I have a feeling you do.
Actually no, you had already appointed yourself as captain before I had been selected."

WHO IS THE PANEL ?
To be consistent a panel would have to select the captain for adults + head of delegation for juniors.
What if we made the selection panel from some of the people with the most posts on this - Robin Moore, Ian Brownlee, Andy Burnett say - would you like them to be the selection panel ? If not , who ? It's a conundrum.

I dont see any benefit In digging dirt about leaked emails.

Do myself and Calum get a vote on the new officials or are we governed by the panel ?
Also the Standards Committee could be the new panel.

The selectors (selection panel, whatever you want to call it) would select players and captain. It's really not that complicated a suggestion. Junior and adult chess should obviously remain separate.

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - robin moore - 14-09-2014

Andy Muir wrote...

Quote:To be consistent a panel would have to select the captain for adults + head of delegation for juniors.

Total garbage.

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - amuir - 14-09-2014

well what's wrong with myself, Colin and Douglas selecting players + captain for future events as we are the current selectors ?
Do you agree that captains should be CS members ?

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - JRedpath - 14-09-2014

The Olympiad is never going to have any credibility as long as players in the team are making the selections.. I don't see how anyone can argue that the current situation (and as it has been for the past x number of years) is right.

If a player wishes to be in contention for selection, someone else should step in on that occasion e.g. you cannot select yourself for the European Team, and Colin can't select himself for the Olympiad.
Perhaps for the captaincy, the international director could propose candidates who are then voted on by the selectors.
Regarding the captain being a member of CS, anyone can become a CS member so I don't see what your point is.

One thing that could possibly help transparency is for the selection panel for adult international events to be increased in number (nine for example).

That panel should not include any selection candidates for player or captain. The selection panel should reflect international experience and be representative of as many areas of Scotland as is reasonably possible.

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - Ianbrownlee - 14-09-2014

robin moore Wrote:Fide trainer posts could be moved to that link on the Junior chess section.
nope
the point I am making is for the adult teams as they are affected by the FIDE trained issue. As I understand it future events will only allow players and FIDE trained people to enter the playing area. Therefore unless you go on one of these courses or are actually playing, you wont get into the playing area, unless I've got it wrong. As we have only one trained person, he is the only one permitted to enter the playing area, unless of course I've got it wrong

Ian,

At the World Youth Junior event in Maribor, Slovenia 2012, no persons (apart from players) from any country's delegation were allowed to enter the playing hall.

Do CS wish to pay an inordinate sum for one official to enter the playing hall?

I would suggest not.