Forums
Tromso Olympiad 2014 - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Tournaments and Events (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Tromso Olympiad 2014 (/thread-838.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - AndrewGreen - 27-03-2014

As Elaine pointed out, are two captains really needed?

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - hamish olson - 27-03-2014

This 1900 guy basically wrote aagard's books from what I've heard - in terms of opening preparation support I'd rather have him than any scottish player (all other things being equal!). Just take a look at all the novelties in aagard's tarrasch book for example - this guy is an extremely good computer analyst with a stack of novelties. (This is just hearsay!)

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - D-Oswald - 27-03-2014

hamish olson Wrote:This 1900 guy basically wrote aagard's books from what I've heard

Brave man Hamish... Jacobs gonna get you Wink Tongue

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - andyburnett - 27-03-2014

hamish olson Wrote:This 1900 guy basically wrote aagard's books from what I've heard - in terms of opening preparation support I'd rather have him than any scottish player (all other things being equal!). Just take a look at all the novelties in aagard's tarrasch book for example - this guy is an extremely good computer analyst with a stack of novelties. (This is just hearsay!)

This is my understanding too. However, I am not convinced that this is what the Scottish team needs first and foremost.
I'm sure he would be very helpful, and by all accounts those who know him say he's a great guy too, and is offering to do it for no fee (unlike last time out where the Danish team paid him for this role) but I'd hazard a guess that CS funds would be paying his way as they would a 'normal' team captain, and this won't sit well with quite a few people. I'm undecided as to the worth of this - but then again it has to better than a situation with a captain who is perhaps unsuitable and/or unwanted?!

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - David Deary - 27-03-2014

Andy B,

I assume you already knew this is who the players proposed, in which case I find your posts questioning Andy M more than a little disingenuous. With this context added I can personally understand Andy M's decision in the face of player power pushing to spend CS’s scarce resources on an individual who will not benefit scottish chess.

Like him or loathe him, Andy M has volunteered to do a role no-one else wants, he has cajoled players into booking flights quickly to save CS money (ask the Finance Director), he has offered to play simuls to try and raise funds and he has offered his time and expertise for the Glorney. That sounds like someone making a positive contribution to CS and the International Director has my support.

However, I am more than a little annoyed that as a Director of CS I seem to be less privy to facts on this matter pertaining to how money is spent than most on here.

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - D-Oswald - 27-03-2014

David Deary Wrote:Like him or loathe him, Andy M has volunteered to do a role no-one else wants

I would be happy to be Open team captain (if supported), again apologies if this interest is late, but I did not see any direct mention of a deadline to this on the selections page:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chessscotland.com/news/?p=502">http://www.chessscotland.com/news/?p=502</a><!-- m -->

I'm not sure that Andy did know this was who the players wanted (at least I don't see why he would), and don't see how an extremely well prepared olympiad team doesn't benefit scottish chess?

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - David Deary - 27-03-2014

David,

I was referring to International Director, interested in that one? B-)

Hamish,

I don't think it represents best value for scottish chess. I really don't want to get into it, you may think CS spending £1,500 on someone (assuming flights and accomodation) or £500 (assuming flights) is a good use of our funds. I don't. I don't think we need two captains, I think it is a waste of money too.

Anyways, good luck to the Squad and the Captains it sounds like you'll need it!

Re: Tromso Olympiad 2014 - andyburnett - 27-03-2014

David Deary Wrote:Andy B,

I assume you already knew this is who the players proposed, in which case I find your posts questioning Andy M more than a little disingenuous. With this context added I can personally understand Andy M's decision in the face of player power pushing to spend CS’s scarce resources on an individual who will not benefit scottish chess.

Like him or loathe him, Andy M has volunteered to do a role no-one else wants, he has cajoled players into booking flights quickly to save CS money (ask the Finance Director), he has offered to play simuls to try and raise funds and he has offered his time and expertise for the Glorney. That sounds like someone making a positive contribution to CS and the International Director has my support.

However, I am more than a little annoyed that as a Director of CS I seem to be less privy to facts on this matter pertaining to how money is spent than most on here.

What exactly is 'more than a little disingenuous' about my posts David? I (and others) have asked Andy if he chose himself. I have asked Andy if anyone else was invited to apply or offered the role by Andy. It is his place to answer (or decline to answer) these questions.

Several alternatives for captaincy were mooted in the correspondence, none of them by Andy Muir - you should ask Andy Muir why yourself and many other CS directors (including the President?) were not copied in, whereas many of his friends were.

I was talking about which captain rather than whether to have a captain or not - as a matter of fact I agree that one captain is (probably) enough (or even having playing captains?!).