Forums
Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2 - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Chess Chat (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2 (/thread-831.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2 - Adam Bremner - 10-01-2014

davidpgillespie Wrote:Andrew wrote "That's a bit of a generalisation Andy, don't you think?"Agreed!

+1

Re: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2 - Hugh Brechin - 11-01-2014

Apart from anything else, do we know whether he meant public as in state or public as in really really posh?

It's still a massive generalisation in either case, but I suppose in the latter case he is at least generalising about fewer people.

Re: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2 - amuir - 13-01-2014

St Aloysius College vs Robert Gordon's (both public schools) Sunday Times British Schools' championships Zonal preliminary played in 1974 or 1975:result of match 3-3 . Robert Gordon's win on age handicap.

St Aloysius College vs Robert Gordon's Scotsman Scottish Schools' championships final. Played over the board. St Aloysius win

I was very aggrieved about the Sunday Times match. It was played by telephone without arbiters and after the time allotted only about 20 moves had been played on all boards. All games were still in the opening stage and all boards were adjudicated as draws. Robert Gordon's admitted afterwards that they had used opening books and treated the whole match as consultation games.

I fear this may happen again if remote playing is used without surveillance.

Re: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2 - Andrew McHarg - 13-01-2014

That's the evidence you were using for your baseless generalisation earlier? =|

Re: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2 - Andrew McHarg - 13-01-2014

In reality, some clubs/people may try to exploit the system and cheat. That's why safeguards have to be put in place to give players faith that the results of such games are fair and credible. And that's - without doubt - one of the most important aspects that the working group should (and I'm sure will) be looking into. We ought to at least wait and see what the investigation proposes before we make any final decisions as to whether we support remote play or not.

Personally, I want the working group to find a way to make it work, because I think it would be an excellent way of making Chess even more inclusive than it already is. Whether that works out in reality or not remains to be seen. 8)

Re: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2 - Andy Howie - 13-01-2014

I think Sean said it best at the meeting on Sat. Why should someone pay 1200 pounds to play in a congress just because they live in one of the islands. We should be trying to help them take an active part in the congress scene

Re: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2 - Mike Scott - 13-01-2014

Quote:I learnt that public schools cheat when playing online
Hm Madras College (St Andrews) played a telephone match in the Scotsman circa 1978/9 in which we (Madras) won reasonably fairly but only in the sense that we didn't use books (being a comprehensive we probably couldn't read) but I am sure there was a fair amount of consultation went on whenever the teacher in charge was out of the room.

Re: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2 - George Neave - 13-01-2014

amuir Wrote:St Aloysius College vs Robert Gordon's (both public schools) Sunday Times British Schools' championships Zonal preliminary played in 1974 or 1975:result of match 3-3 . Robert Gordon's win on age handicap.

St Aloysius College vs Robert Gordon's Scotsman Scottish Schools' championships final. Played over the board. St Aloysius win

I was very aggrieved about the Sunday Times match. It was played by telephone without arbiters and after the time allotted only about 20 moves had been played on all boards. All games were still in the opening stage and all boards were adjudicated as draws. Robert Gordon's admitted afterwards that they had used opening books and treated the whole match as consultation games.

I fear this may happen again if remote playing is used without surveillance.

This is the first thing that's made me laugh out loud on this board for a very long time. 1974. Classic! (literally)

Re: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2 - IMarks - 14-01-2014

Andy Howie Wrote:I think Sean said it best at the meeting on Sat. Why should someone pay 1200 pounds to play in a congress just because they live in one of the islands. We should be trying to help them take an active part in the congress scene
£1200 to play in a congress!?!? =o You don't even pay anything like that to play 11 rounds + hotel + full board + air fares + transfers on the continent. What island is it? Tristan da Cunha?

Re: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2 - robin moore - 14-01-2014

Ian,

I wasn't at the AGM so don't know the context but Sean may have been possibly talking about a family attending such as himself, Judy and their chess playing children, Carl and Anna. No idea if this is the case but it has to be considered that if you are travelling from a "remote" area as a chess playing family, booking time off work/school together and trying to get a decent transport/accommodation deal to support a congress is much more difficult (and expensive) than an individual adult player.