Forums
Richardson/Spens 2011-12 - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Tournaments and Events (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Richardson/Spens 2011-12 (/thread-74.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Re: Richardson/Spens 2011-12 - Alan Jelfs - 09-04-2012

For the benefit of Hamilton's board 2,

This Thursday (12th April) you are playing at East Kilbride in the Glasgow League Division 1.
On published grade, I would be EK's board 2.
On live grade, it would be Phil Thomas.

Just saying ... =)

Re: Richardson/Spens 2011-12 - Phil Thomas - 10-04-2012

If I get another 25 points awarded me on the Weds grading update I'd be within 80 points of Gordon Rattray.

It would not be a surprise to us if Pat played board 2 and Joe played board 1.

Like most chess teams East Kilbride sticks to the rules and publishes nothing to help the opposing teams.

But by way of explanation of board orders Daniel Thomas at the start of the season was given a board based upon his published grade. Part way through the season that changed to his live grade (+241 this season).

Re: Richardson/Spens 2011-12 - Alan Tate - 10-04-2012

Question:
Andrew McHarg Wrote:I don't get why the top players wouldn't actually want to compete if the event was Fide rated......

Answer:
Andrew McHarg Wrote:If players are confident in their own game and the accuracy of their grade then they should have nothing to fear from entering a Fide-rated Scottish event.

:-)

It would have been nice to have been told that the Richardson was no longer Fide rated, and opinion should have been gathered on this forum first, in my opinion.

Re: Richardson/Spens 2011-12 - Douglas Bryson - 10-04-2012

Alan Tate Wrote:It would have been nice to have been told that the Richardson was no longer Fide rated, and opinion should have been gathered on this forum first, in my opinion.

The niceness did actually occur. The membership secretary communicated directly with clubs on September 4, 2011 and within the invitation letter to ask clubs if they wished to participate in the Richardson/Spens was the following extract.

"Cheques should be made payable to Chess Scotland and sent to me by 10 October, please.
All clubs who take out membership of Chess Scotland are entitled to play in the Richardson or Spens Cup.
However if more than 16 teams apply to play in the Richardson, clubs will be selected based on
performance in previous years’ tournaments. The match dates are listed on the Chess Scotland website.
These will be not be FIDE rated for 2011/12."

Re: Richardson/Spens 2011-12 - Andrew McHarg - 10-04-2012

Alan Tate Wrote:Question:
Andrew McHarg Wrote:I don't get why the top players wouldn't actually want to compete if the event was Fide rated......

Answer:
Andrew McHarg Wrote:If players are confident in their own game and the accuracy of their grade then they should have nothing to fear from entering a Fide-rated Scottish event.

I don't get it? Big Grin

Re: Richardson/Spens 2011-12 - Alan Tate - 10-04-2012

Douglas Bryson Wrote:
Alan Tate Wrote:It would have been nice to have been told that the Richardson was no longer Fide rated, and opinion should have been gathered on this forum first, in my opinion.

The niceness did actually occur. The membership secretary communicated directly with clubs on September 4, 2011 and within the invitation letter to ask clubs if they wished to participate in the Richardson/Spens was the following extract.

"Cheques should be made payable to Chess Scotland and sent to me by 10 October, please.
All clubs who take out membership of Chess Scotland are entitled to play in the Richardson or Spens Cup.
However if more than 16 teams apply to play in the Richardson, clubs will be selected based on
performance in previous years’ tournaments. The match dates are listed on the Chess Scotland website.

I did not say who by, just would have like to have been told!

Re: Richardson/Spens 2011-12 - amuir - 16-04-2012

Results : Spens : E Kilbride 3 -3 Kilmarnock (EK win on board count)
Campbell: Irvine 4-2 Civ Service

Finals :
Richardson: Ed West v Dragons (played at Edinburgh CC at 2pm with 5 hour session)
Campbell: Irvine v Troon (played in Ayrshire since clubs only 4 miles apart)
Spens: Castlehill v E Kilbride (played at Grangemouth)

The Spens is the only final played at Grangemouth - cost is about £120 - I will ask Emma Allardyce for smaller room or for clubs to accept another venue

Re: Richardson/Spens 2011-12 - Andy Howie - 16-04-2012

There is small room next to the one that we were going to use that would be suitable

Re: Richardson/Spens 2011-12 - andyburnett - 16-04-2012

Alan Tate Wrote:
Douglas Bryson Wrote:

I did not say who by, just would have like to have been told!

Me too ;| I have a feeling our team captain didn't read the small print, as he was there when I mentioned the FIDE rating during the semi-final

Re: Richardson/Spens 2011-12 - amuir - 16-04-2012

spens final will be played in small room at grangemouth at 1pm