Forums
AGM Candidates - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Chess Chat (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: AGM Candidates (/thread-661.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Re: AGM Candidates - amuir - 15-08-2013

Mr McGovern
You know my 2 proposals and that there is nothing wrong with them.
Please publish them here on my behalf.
If I post then they will be deleted. I'm only the ID. However you are on the SC and have authority.
Andy

Re: AGM Candidates - JRedpath - 15-08-2013

StevieHilton Wrote:Matthew,
I respect your decision.
I have resigned two directorships in CS hardly a multiple as Hugh Brechin says.
I resigned them on a matter of principle. I was filling in as Executive Director in 2007 and I resigned because there were heavy campaigning for the position months before the election was due to take place in 2008. This was a major distraction for my work in this position.
The second time was earlier this year with the Home Director position. I made a decision after consultation in regards the Richardson Cup. I was informed of a problem in one match less than 24 hours before the match took place. I made a decision and it caused problems for one of the teams involved. I was put in an impossible situation by the team who contacted me. I made a mistake and when you make a mistake you ought to resign. I did so as a matter of principle.

Steve I guess you are referring to the Hamilton Dragons match from last year. I have no idea what mistake you think you made that warranted a resignation, maybe you made an error of judgement. You will face much tougher decisions if you are elected president, hope you can handle it!

Re: AGM Candidates - David G Congalton - 15-08-2013

I loved orienteering when I was much younger. I regularly orienteered about the place with the school.

I know exactly where my compass, orange whistle (never used) and red pen are. I would probably need a new map case and I doubt if I would do much really hard running to begin with but spending my weekends getting lost in the middle of nowhere sounds a good deal more fun than running round in chess circles.

I remember bursting out of a dense forest, after taking what I believed was a "sneaky short cut" to come across a busy road that wasn't expected from my reading of the map. I'm sure my little bemused and confused face amused many of the passing motorists.

I got involved in the organising side of chess as I thought there was a need for volunteers. However, it is becoming clearer by the day that many people before me have volunteered but given up after a short while. I now understand why.

Re: AGM Candidates - Andrew McHarg - 15-08-2013

David G Congalton Wrote:I know exactly where my compass, orange whistle (never used) and red pen are. I would probably need a new map case and I doubt if I would do much really hard running to begin with but spending my weekends getting lost in the middle of nowhere sounds a good deal more fun than running round in chess circles.

Red pens aren't used anymore, the controls are all printed on the map and Sport Ident "dibbers" are used to record split times between them... Big Grin Makes for some fun viewing after events when comparing your routes/split times etc with friends.

Re: AGM Candidates - David G Congalton - 15-08-2013

Andrew McHarg Wrote:Red pens aren't used anymore, the controls are all printed on the map and Sport Ident "dibbers" are used to record split times between them... Big Grin Makes for some fun viewing after events when comparing your routes/split times etc with friends.

Aw, rubbish. Part of the fun was running down to the "map area" and finding a free space to copy the controls down. Not so much fun, if you put the circle in the wrong place though but that was part of the sport.

You'll be telling me next you don't punch a card any more with the red punches but scan a barcode or something or is that what a dibber is?

I think my first free weekend is September 14th. I'll be having a look to see if there's any orienteering taking place.

Re: AGM Candidates - Hugh Brechin - 15-08-2013

David, Andrew, I'm going to have to ask you to be careful. There hasn't been nearly enough rancour and discord in the last few posts.

Andy - I'm not going to post those motions. I don't think they'd add anything worthwhile to the discussion at this stage.

Re: AGM Candidates - Hugh Brechin - 15-08-2013

Expanding on it slightly, cause that sounds awfully high-handed: I'm sure the Standards Committee will be discussed at the AGM, but as mentioned up-thread, motions which try to bind the committee to take certain actions are not necessarily competent. Furthermore, the subject matter of the motions doesn't have a lot to do with the topic of this thread, and would stand a pretty good chance of derailing it.

Re: AGM Candidates - Phil Thomas - 15-08-2013

Phil Thomas - "Given the set of problems caused by woefully inadequate performance of the chair of the standards committee I contend that if you care about the good name of Chess Scotland; you have no choice but to remove him from office."

END OF QUOTE

I am glad Pat provided this information. I could not immediately find the original mail (I am sure that Pat can find date and distribution list much faster than I can) but it is clear from the short extract that it is taken from a private e mail sent from me to Hamish.
Recent events on this notice board and at the Council meeting of June 22nd show that I was giving valid advice to the president. The woeful inadequate performance of the chair of the standards committee is evidenced by the 17 points made in Linda’s report to the council meeting. Only one of which is needed to illustrate my point. Three investigations into an assault case and not one of those enquiries interviewed the junior who was assaulted. Removing that report (now rewritten as requested by Council) from public view does not invalidate its findings.
Since the standards committee were provided with this data from a private email sent from me to the president this indicates a far too cosy relationship between them. Despite any and all claims to the contrary happening now and anticipated to occur at the agm on the 24th.

Hamish did not respond to the mail referred to above, like so many other mails and not just from me.

Likewise on the morning before the Council meeting I wrote to Hamish to tell him that he had no power to expel me and my wife from Chess Scotland. Had he shown the courtesy of taking that advise seriously he would have been spared the extreme embarrassment he suffered at the end of the council meeting – for evidence read the minutes of the council meeting – still available on the website.

Re: AGM Candidates - Patrick McGovern - 15-08-2013

amuir Wrote:Mr McGovern
You know my 2 proposals and that there is nothing wrong with them.
Please publish them here on my behalf.
If I post then they will be deleted. I'm only the ID. However you are on the SC and have authority.
Andy

If you have the courage of your convictions then publish, why should I or anyone else publish them for you? Perhaps you know that they are contentious and want someone else to look foolish on your behalf?

Re: AGM Candidates - andyburnett - 15-08-2013

Publishing the 2 motions here would at least give us all some idea what we are actually (in part) discussing! If someone wants to send them to me I will be happy to post them - if the moderators then see fit to remove them, I'm sure my knuckles can handle being rapped a little!

The problem within CS as I see it is one of transparency - I'm reading far too many complaints on here about matters being dealt with secretively; reports not being published; un-named officials accused of assaults; serious accusations or questions being 'buried' or 'ignored'. At the moment I wouldn't be able to vote for anyone at the AGM because I don't know who is doing what to whom and why? :\

It's not just 1 or 2 individuals with 'a grudge to bear' now - we're almost in double-figures for the amount of people resigning/ not renewing/ seriously unhappy with how things are going and that's just from this forum Sad

We need to take heed of Duncan Grassie's post here. Losing young, talented players (organiser's/etc) because of internal politics or political posturing is a disgrace.