Forums
Dundee & Angus Congress results - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Tournaments and Events (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Dundee & Angus Congress results (/thread-407.html)

Pages: 1 2

Dundee & Angus Congress results - Keith Rose - 14-10-2012

Grading performances will follow later this evening:

Supported by Invensys Technology Ltd
Open

1st: FM Alan Tate
2nd=: IM Stephen Burns-Mannion, Calum MacQueen, Clement Sreeves
U2000: Jonathan Edwards
U1850=: Ali Roy Kevin Mayo, Alastair Dawson, Murad Abdulla

Challengers

1st =: Michael Ridge, John S.R. Smith, Jeremy Mitchell
Grading: Robert Lawson
Junior: Daniel Deary

Major

1st =: Norman Andrews, Bernard Cassidy
2nd=: Kevin Campbell, George Livie, Bruce Wallace, John Pearston
Junior: Leonardo Sani

Minor

1st: Euan Gray
2nd=: Norman Grant, Terry Doherty, Vagif Ramazanov, Ron Cutting, Jan Barron-Majerik
Junior: Samuel Kearns, Harry Turner
Primary: Euan Dawson

Giantkiller: David Newton

There were 16 players of 12 or under, notable performances from the list above:

Murad Abdulla (12 yrs, Aberdeen)
Euan Gray (11yrs, North Juniors)
Vagif Ramazanov (9 yrs, Aberdeen)

Re: Dundee & Angus Congress results and grading - Keith Rose - 14-10-2012

Grading performance are now available at our results page - http://www.dundee-congress.co.uk/results%202012.htm

Thanks are due to:
My colleagues on the organising committee
The arbiters - Mike Roth, Donald Wilson, Jim Anderson, Phil Thomas
Universis Technology Ltd
The players who made donations and who helped with the clearing up at the end
Provost of Angus Council, Cllr Helen Oswald who made the closing remarks and made the presentations

Keith

Re: Dundee & Angus Congress results - robin moore - 14-10-2012

Keith,

First of all a huge thank you for another very successful and increasingly popular tournament. A special thank you from me to all arbiters who were excellent in clarifying any issues to younger juniors.
Some excellent junior performances already highlighted. Daniel Deary, Declan Shafi, Jamie Underwood and Leonardo Sani also had great results.
I just wish to single out one player in particular, 7 year old Sam Harper. Don't read too much into his outright score and grading performance, it is no reflection whatsoever of how well he played over the weekend. Euan Gray, who won the minor section said he was his toughest opponent and couldn't believe how good he was.

Re: Dundee & Angus Congress results and grading - Phil Thomas - 15-10-2012

Keith Rose Wrote:Grading performance are now available at our results page - http://www.dundee-congress.co.uk/results%202012.htm

Thanks are due to:
My colleagues on the organising committee
The arbiters - Mike Roth, Donald Wilson, Jim Anderson, Phil Thomas
Universis Technology Ltd
The players who made donations and who helped with the clearing up at the end
Provost of Angus Council, Cllr Helen Oswald who made the closing remarks and made the presentations

Keith

I have not previously controlled at Dundee and on behalf of the arbiters thanks to Keith and the organising committee for making our job so easy. As far as the minor section was concerned no data about byes went astray - a near unique experience for me.

As it turned out the players in the Minor created a remarkably small number of incidents to deal with. I had been initially a little concerned when I first saw the entry list and saw many very young players and three ungraded players.

As it turned out the ungraded players were adults who can play well without being sharks in the minor pool. The only incident I recall where rules had to be explained to a junior was when the opponent moved into check but had not pressed his clock (not a completed illegal move - because clock had not yet been pressed). For me that was very much a query in the style of a top golfer getting a ruling before playing his next shot from the rough.

Congratulations to Keith and his team on an all round first class performance. No surprise to me that the Dundee congress continues to grows in size and prestige year upon year.

Re: Dundee & Angus Congress results and grading - David Deary - 15-10-2012

Phil Thomas Wrote:Congratulations to Keith and his team on an all round first class performance. No surprise to me that the Dundee congress continues to grows in size and prestige year upon year.

Well said, I completely agree.
The congress is professionaly run and organised and they ask for feedback from the customer (us!) which I like and the venue is great. My only complaint is that the water cups are too small. ;P (Just kidding)

Keep up the good work Keith et al and I'll see you again next year.
I also hope you decide to have the Allegro again as I thoroughly enjoyed myself earlier this year despite some shark winning my section.

Re: Dundee & Angus Congress results - George Neave - 15-10-2012

robin moore Wrote:Keith,

First of all a huge thank you for another very successful and increasingly popular tournament. A special thank you from me to all arbiters who were excellent in clarifying any issues to younger juniors.
Some excellent junior performances already highlighted. Daniel Deary, Declan Shafi, Jamie Underwood and Leonardo Sani also had great results.
I just wish to single out one player in particular, 7 year old Sam Harper. Don't read too much into his outright score and grading performance, it is no reflection whatsoever of how well he played over the weekend. Euan Gray, who won the minor section said he was his toughest opponent and couldn't believe how good he was.

The 2180 performance by a certain 12 year old seemed pretty stand out to me =o When did we last see that in Scotland I wonder? Maybe DMB can tell is?

Re: Dundee & Angus Congress results - Alan Jelfs - 15-10-2012

Check out Andrew McClement's Top Tournament Performances for 2008 when he was a J12.

Re: Dundee & Angus Congress results - robin moore - 15-10-2012

Guys,

Fair enough but you know I have to look at the whole picture (Murad is 11 btw). That means I have to look at girls and boys just beginning at CFK events and similar right up to World Youth level.
It's incredibly exciting when someone you feel has ability comes right through the ranks. I first saw Euan Gray playing in an U600 event at Hamilton with a grade of 368. I thought he had potential (focused, tactical, good endgame for that level). He had travelled down with his mum from a wee village near Stonehaven to play at the event (very supportive parents is essential at international level). I asked Calum MacQueen if he would like to start coaching him. I'm sure you can imagine how I felt as he was getting warmly applauded by everyone and having his photo taken with the provost yesterday after winning the Minor.
Murad is a wee bit special but it can be just as exciting when you see a very young player that could be anything. Sam Harper, Ben Volland, Jake Sanger and plenty more are in that category who have great potential. Hope they can come right through also.

Robin.

Re: Dundee & Angus Congress results - Keith Rose - 15-10-2012

Regarding the junior performances I posted the following to the Junior forum:

Quote:Just for curiosity value some of the most impressive performances from D & A

Name, age, Pub grade, Perf, Diff
Sani, Leonardo J13 1072 1646 574
Gray, Euan J11 937 1418 481
Ramazanov, Vagif J 9 946 1423 477
Abdulla, Murad J12 1746 2180 434
Shafi, Declan J12 1309 1677 368
Dawson, Euan J11 778 1135 357
Milton, Anna J12 1327 1584 257
Underwood, Jamie R J13 1450 1677 227
Wynne, Stuart J14 1249 1469 220

Keith

Re: Dundee & Angus Congress results - robin moore - 15-10-2012