Forums
Topalov Simul - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Chess Chat (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Topalov Simul (/thread-249.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Topalov Simul - George Neave - 28-04-2012

StevieHilton Wrote:There is no satisfactory way of drawing the names for such an event, as there were bound to disappointed players whatever the method of selection used.

...which may be so Steven but it would be good if the criteria that have been used were at least shared with the CS membership e.g. I for one would hope all participants are paid up members - are they?

Re: Topalov Simul - Alex McFarlane - 28-04-2012

The numbers were drawn at random by Lara calling out numbers to me.
I had intended top graded, juniors, female and everyone else to be the four sections. As it turned out junior and female were combined. Basically a pro rata number was generated by lot from Top graded and Women/Juniors. The unsuccessful were then put into the random draw. This gave a smaller chance to the lower graded players but too many low graded players would have put all participants at a disadvantage. The system was weighted effectively 2:2:1 (Strong/Jn&fem).
There was also the publicity angle to be considered (hence discrimination for juniors/female players).

I didn't look at membership - I didn't even think about it. I didn't look at clubs - again I didn't even consider that (but would have rejected it anyway).

I had hoped to do it in semi public at the Megafinal on Sunday but things were so busy that it just didn't happen.

I hope that this answers all the questions and no-one thinks the draw was held in a totally unreasonable manner.

Re: Topalov Simul - George Neave - 28-04-2012

Alex McFarlane Wrote:The numbers were drawn at random by Lara calling out numbers to me.
I had intended top graded, juniors, female and everyone else to be the four sections. As it turned out junior and female were combined. Basically a pro rata number was generated by lot from Top graded and Women/Juniors. The unsuccessful were then put into the random draw. This gave a smaller chance to the lower graded players but too many low graded players would have put all participants at a disadvantage. The system was weighted effectively 2:2:1 (Strong/Jn&fem).
There was also the publicity angle to be considered (hence discrimination for juniors/female players).

I didn't look at membership - I didn't even think about it. I didn't look at clubs - again I didn't even consider that (but would have rejected it anyway).

I had hoped to do it in semi public at the Megafinal on Sunday but things were so busy that it just didn't happen.

I hope that this answers all the questions and no-one thinks the draw was held in a totally unreasonable manner.

Thank you. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me and good to know how it was done. I hope those involved have a good day and that we get a few points on the board at end of the day.

Re: Topalov Simul - robin moore - 28-04-2012

Alex,

Impressively well organised as normal. I have refrained from posting on this topic until it was finalised. May I just request that the Prestwick congress is given a publicity airing at the simul requesting everyone's support. We also have a simul on the Saturday night with GM Sarunas Sulskis from Lithuania at the Parkstone hotel in Prestwick. It will be a bit lower key, with a bit of banter, but there is also a buffet and a talk from Sarunas, everyone welcome whether playing in the congress or not. It promises to be a fun evening,

Robin.

Re: Topalov Simul - Alex McFarlane - 28-04-2012

I have my box of entry forms to put out at the event (not sure what's in it and which ones have already gone!).

Difficult to plug individual events verbally as the only time will be the beginning and there will be a number of announcements about rules to be made then. We have so many big events coming up.

Prestwick, Blitz, Scottish to name but 3.

Re: Topalov Simul - robin moore - 28-04-2012

All, (and Alex!),

Let us try and focus on the next event no matter where we are geographically in Scotland. We have players coming from all areas of the British Isles and beyond to Prestwick to compete and long may it continue. We need to have a concentrated effort to support Chess for Kicks events, Junior tournaments at the likes of Hamilton and full congress events at venues like Prestwick. If we don't get our hands in our pockets to support these wonderful tournaments we are going to be sitting at home with no weekend events in a couple of years. We must pull together as a matter of urgency and I urge you to consider what you wish for the future of chess in our country,

Robin

Re: Topalov Simul - Andy Howie - 30-04-2012

Results from the Simul

Aagaard Jacob 0.5
Brechin Hugh 0.5
Bremner Adam 0.5
Brunello Roberta 0
Campbell Alistair 0
Forbes Alistair 0
Green Andrew 0
Greet Andrew 1
Hilton Stephen 0
Lawson Robert 0.5
McLean Ian 0
Mitchell Mike 0
Mitrovic Boris 0.5
Newton Andrew 0
Nisbet Charlie 0
Pannwitz Kai 0
Rattray Gordon 0
Ridge Mike 0
Sreeves Clement 0
White Alastair 0

We had a fantastic day yesterday. Big thanks go to Alex and Mike for helping to organise. Donald for agreeing to be one of the Arbiters, Edinburgh Chess Club for stepping in and letting us use the venue at short notice, David Archibald and Neil Berry for being very charming hosts and helping us find the hotel (I knew it was 5 minutes walk but was not sure in which direction..), my wife for stepping in as chauffeur and helping to pick up our guests, Quality chess for providing prizes, the players for making it a good day and the endless stream of spectators. If I have missed anyone, I apologise now!!

Game scores are being entered. Scotsman and Associated Press were there so if anyone sees any coverage of the event in the papers can they call it out.

I'll post photos tonight as I have picked up the wrong memory card this morning :p

Re: Topalov Simul - Mike Mitchell - 30-04-2012

This was a brilliant and historic event and I feel privileged to have been a part of it.

Granted, I was a bit disappointed with my game, it being (as Neil Berry accurately described!) a bit of a damp squib. But hey, I'm in august company, Topalov did force Kramnik to resign in 19 moves once!

He probably put up slightly more resistance than I did however Sad

My thanks to the event organisers and ECC for staging. Also thanks to those that helped me actually attend and play, particularly Andy McCulloch.

And last but by no means least, thanks to GM Topalov for the game (lesson?) and for signing my copy of San Luis 2005.

Re: Topalov Simul - StevieHilton - 30-04-2012

I would also like to thank the organisers for the opportunity to take part in great event.
Though I lost, I felt it was a very valuable lesson learned, and to be part of a great occasion.
Stephen Hilton
Secretary General
IBCA

Re: Topalov Simul - Andrew Greet - 30-04-2012

I'd like to express my thanks to the organisers as well.

To answer Joe's earlier post about why they let a GM and an IM take part: I can't speak for Jacob but I myself have - until yesterday - never had the opportunity to face anyone of Topalov's calibre. My strongest ever opponent in a serious game has been Adams, and over the years I've faced maybe three or four players in the mid-to-high 2600s. To compete against a recent World Champion, even in a simul, has so far been a once-in-a-lifetime chance.