Forums
Special General Meeting - Good Governance - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Special General Meeting - Good Governance (/thread-2153.html)

Pages: 1 2

Special General Meeting - Good Governance - David Deary - 13-04-2022

Hi All,

I feel as an individual member of Chess Scotland that it is necessary to call a Special General Meeting (SGM) under section 13.2 of the Chess Scotland constitution with the object of good governance. Over the last two to three years, it has been necessary for governance to be looser for the association to be resilient to the challenges presented by the coronavirus pandemic. This has meant that decisions have been taken by Management Board (MB) that would normally be made by the members at an Annual General Meeting (AGM) or Council meeting.  Three such examples are below but this list should not be considered exhaustive:

1. Chess Scotland has not had an AGM since November 2019, it is a requirement of the constitution that an AGM should be held annually and no later than end of November. 
  2. There has not been a Council meeting since the 2019 AGM either. According to the Information page on the CS website there are no minutes from Council meetings since March 2015 and the last meeting notice is for 25 March 2017. The Council may have met since then but there is no official record. 
  3. Additionally, the Management Board decided to extend membership periods and not charge fees due to the inactivity of over the board chess. An appropriate decision given the pandemic but a decision that is not within their gift. Council is responsible for approving subscriptions setting under 6.3 of the Constitution. To date there has been no confirmation that Council has approved this decision. 
Whilst the coronavirus pandemic is a reasonable excuse for the loose governance in points above the time is now to correct the record and seek the retrospective approval of the AGM and Council. 

It should be noted that I have no animus towards any elected officers, they are volunteers and I have no doubt that their motivations are pure. However, it is important that Chess Scotland as a members association is governed for the members as per the rules laid out in the constitution. 

The Association's focus should be on the recovery of chess following the pandemic. A lack of communication and an absence of virtual meetings over the last two years has led to a disconnect between the Management Board and the membership. We need to press the reset button as an association and I do hope this SGM and subsequent AGM allows us to do that in part. 

I propose the following motion for consideration at the SGM:

Quote:The SGM instructs the Management Board and Council to fulfil the governance required by the Constitution and set a date of before end-May 2022 for this season's AGM

I am posting this here to give fellow members a chance to input to the motion. My intent is for this SGM and subsequent AGM to be a hybrid format with attendees in person in a covid-19 secure venue and online. This will cater for both those that live far from the venue or those who are understandably nervous about the covid-19 situation. 

The formal request for an SGM will be made on Monday 18th April with the support of 9 other like minded Chess Scotland members and the necessary £100 (I've got it covered) to bring this meeting about. I am keen to seek feedback from my fellow members and I am open to suggestions on this thread, via private message on the forum or via email - david.deary at gmail.com (the at rather than @ is to hopefully avoid spam).

One last thing, I would be happy to withdraw this SGM, if the Chess Scotland Management Board sets a date for an AGM. I would even make a donation of the £100 to Chess Scotland in lieu of the SGM as a gesture of goodwill.

Thanks for reading,

David

RE: Special General Meeting - Good Governance - David Deary - 13-04-2022

It has been pointed out to me that Motion 2 is not a competent motion as it does not amend the constitution. See 13.2 of the constitution:

Quote:13.2.    A Special General Meeting may be called for the purpose of amending this Constitution, or removing from office and replacing any Council member, on receipt by the Executive Director or President of a requisition detailing the objects of the meeting and the motion(s) to be voted upon. Such requisition shall be signed by at least ten Individual, Club or Affiliate organisations, and shall be accompanied by a remittance determined by COUNCIL from time to time, as stated in the Operating Procedures, but not less than £100, to cover the costs of notifying members of the purpose of the meeting and of holding the meeting. This remittance may be returned in whole or in part at the discretion of COUNCIL.

I do take issue with that and I'll explain why. I could propose a motion to amend the constitution to insert a clause to say for example:

"The 2021 AGM will be held by 15th June 2022"

That may well be a competent motion but an incompetent way to treat the constitution. So I don't think it would be appropriate. Unless you could build in almost a secret agent-eque, "this clause will be deleted upon the 2021 AGM being held." That doesn't seem very sensible to me either but I did give it consideration.

My reading of 13.1 is that motion 1 is enough to call the meeting in accordance with the SGM provision. My motion 2 is part of the 'object' of the meeting on bringing about a return to good governance. Motion 2 seeks to express the will of the SGM if it passes, it could be contrived to turn it into a constitutional amendment but I'm not sure I would be comfortable with that. If needs be I would do it reluctantly but it doesn't feel very clever. Open to suggestions?

I had also telegraphed that particular challenge which was why I made the offer to the Executive of holding a combined meeting which would in so doing render motion 2 moot.

I may make amends to the motions, if I do so I will amend the first post but also post a separate post with the rationale and reference that in the original post.

RE: Special General Meeting - Good Governance - David Deary - 14-04-2022

I have sought advice and I will be amending my call and motion. Watch this space...

RE: Special General Meeting - Good Governance - davidlevy - 15-04-2022

(13-04-2022, 11:59 AM)David Deary Wrote: Hi All,

In light of the ill fated attempt to amend the constitution via the Eligibly Working Party motion 1 and the initial intransigence of the Executive in the face of legitimate concern, I feel as an individual member of Chess Scotland that I have very little recourse than to call a Special General Meeting (SGM) under section 13.2 of the Chess Scotland constitution with the object of good governance and amending the constitution to ensure governance is carried out as intended by the constitution. Over the last two to three years, it has been necessary for governance to be looser for the association to be resilient to the challenges presented by the coronavirus pandemic. This has meant that decisions have been taken by the Executive Committee (ExCo) & Management Board (MB) that would normally be made by the members at an Annual General Meeting (AGM) or Council meeting.  Four examples are below but this list should not be considered exhaustive:
  • (1) Chess Scotland has not had an AGM since November 2019, it is a requirement of the constitution that an AGM should be held annually and no later than end of November. 2 years have now passed with no such AGM being held. On 3rd November 2020 there was an update proposing that “As soon as we are in a sufficiently low tier in 2021 to host an AGM, the remainder (motions and elections) will take place.” There has been no further update and no meeting has been held.
  • (2) According to the Information page on the Chess Scotland website there has not been a Council meeting since the 2019 AGM either. In fact, there are no minutes from Council meetings since March 2015 and the last meeting notice is for 25 March 2017. The Council may have met since then but there is no official record. Given Council is responsible for the following, see 9.2 from the Constitution:
Quote:9.2.    Powers and Duties of COUNCIL
9.2.1. To represent the Chess Scotland membership and act on behalf of the membership at COUNCIL meetings and between General Meetings.
9.2.2. To receive and approve reports on MANAGEMENT BOARD activities.
9.2.3. To provide updates on activities of Council members to the MANAGEMENT BOARD as necessary.
9.2.4. To approve a business plan and budget over an annual, or longer, period.
9.2.5. To approve the strategic direction for Chess Scotland.
9.2.6. To approve the creation of ad hoc committees as necessary, these committees may co-opt Individual members who are not Council members where specific expertise is required
  • How have these duties been carried out in the absence of Council actually meeting? Given the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on OTB chess, Council should have met to set the strategic direction and minutes should have been published to keep the wider membership apprised. 
  • (3) Additionally, Chess Scotland decided via the ExCo & MB to extend membership periods and not charge fees due to the inactivity of over the board chess. An appropriate decision given the pandemic but a decision that is not within their gift. Council is responsible for approving subscriptions setting under 6.3 of the Constitution:
Quote:6.3.    An annual subscription payable by Individual, Club and Affiliate organisations of Chess Scotland and as recommended by the Finance Director shall be approved by COUNCIL. These approved subscriptions may differ between the various classes of membership and in respect of different age groups or other categories defined by COUNCIL. COUNCIL is empowered to revoke the membership of any Member whose subscription is two months or more overdue and may delegate this power to the Membership Secretary.
  • To date there has been no confirmation that Council has approved this decision. 
  • (4) Finally, an eligibility vote was announced on 18th March 2022 that proposed a motion (EWP Motion 1) to amend the Chess Scotland constitution. This amendment was to go to an online members vote and a two thirds majority was required. However, this motion was deemed unconstitutional following member objections, as amendments of the constitution are required to go to an AGM or a SGM where the membership can discuss, hear those for and against the motion, arrive at a consensus position or a majority vote. The issue here is not one of disenfranchisement as 1 member still gets 1 vote. However, members are also able to amend motions from the floor of an AGM or SGM, there was no such provision allowing members to amend Motion 1 or speak in favour or against it. Whilst it is a positive that the constitution amending part of the motion was withdrawn the Executive defended what would have been an unconstitutional motion.
Whilst the coronavirus pandemic is a reasonable excuse for the loose governance in points 1 through 3, the time is now to correct the record and seek the retrospective approval of the AGM and Council. On point 4, this was simply an error on the part of the Executive which was eventually ceded on the day of the vote. 

It should be noted that I have no animus towards any elected officers, they are volunteers and I have no doubt that their motivations are pure. However, it is important that Chess Scotland as a members association is governed for the members as per the rules laid out in the constitution. I have both personally via e-mail and publicly (via the Chess Scotland forum) asked members of the ExCo and MB to change course over the last two years as I felt they were taking governance and the wider membership for granted. 

The Association's focus should be on recovery and building back better following the pandemic. Not communicating with the membership or even holding virtual meetings has only increased the disconnect between the Executive Committee, the Management Board and the membership. We need to press the reset button as an association and I do hope this SGM allows us to do that in part. I note a number of recent posts on not enough people volunteering or willing to be involved. I used to be a Director and an Arbiter myself but I became utterly scunnered with the politics and infighting and the Associations ability to always pick the worst option on the table - if they were two ways of going about things invariably we would frustratingly pick the wrong one. This coupled with a young family and busy job has meant I haven't been as involved as I have been in the past, my time is at a premium and chess has moved down the pecking order. 

I do feel it is necessary to propose the following motions for the SGM:

Motion 1 - Proposal to amend the Chess Scotland constitution to ensure all constitutional amendments go to an AGM or SGM

The Chess Scotland Constitution shall be amended to include the following under 12.3 ‘The business of the Annual General Meeting’:

Quote:12.3.6  To consider all amendments to the constitution, unless the amendment is raised as part of a Special General Meeting in accordance with 13.5.

Motion 2 - Proposal to ensure meetings as designated by the constitution actually take place, are publicised so members can attend and minutes are taken.

Quote:The SGM instructs the Executive Committee to schedule a Council meeting to set an AGM date (see 12.1) and subsequently schedule an Annual General meeting as soon as possible. With the specific purpose to seek retrospective approval for decisions taken by the Executive Committee and Management Board during the coronavirus pandemic and to return to business as usual where governance is concerned. These meetings should be publicised to the membership in advance, with minutes taken and published in a timely manner as per the requirements of the constitution. 

I am posting this here to give fellow members a chance to input to the motions I intend to bring forward. Also, if you have a governance motion you would like to include feel free to post. My intent is for this meeting to be a hybrid format with attendees in person in a covid-19 secure venue and online. This will cater for both those that live far from the venue or those who are understandably nervous about the covid-19 situation. 

The formal request for an SGM will be made on Monday 18th April with the support of 9 other like minded Chess Scotland members and the necessary £100 (I've got it covered) to bring this meeting about. I am keen to seek feedback from my fellow members and I am open to suggestions on this thread, via private message on the forum or via email - david.deary at gmail.com (the at rather than @ is to hopefully avoid spam).

One last thing, I would be happy to combine this with an AGM if the Chess Scotland Executive would be agreeable to this, this in the fact the very intent of motion 2. I would even make a donation of the £100 to Chess Scotland in lieu of the SGM as a gesture of goodwill.

Thanks for reading,

David

RE: Special General Meeting - Good Governance - WBuchanan - 15-04-2022

(14-04-2022, 06:11 PM)David Deary Wrote: I have sought advice and I will be amending my call and motion. Watch this space...

Hi David just replying so that your motion announcement reappears at the front of the forum where it can be seen

Has anyone suggested changing the format of AGMs and EGMs to a hybrid, so that CS members can participate, spectate and contribute at these meetings? Since the start of the pandemic it has become commonplace for many regular academic conferences to be either wholly virtual or hybrid. In the case of CS, in which many members find it inconvenient and/or costly to travel to a meeting, we would hopefully attract a significantly greater number of attendees if we adopted a hybrid approach.

David Levy

(15-04-2022, 10:16 AM)davidlevy Wrote: Has anyone suggested changing the format of AGMs and EGMs to a hybrid, so that CS members can participate, spectate and contribute at these meetings? Since the start of the pandemic it has become commonplace for many regular academic conferences to be either wholly virtual or hybrid. In the case of CS, in which many members find it inconvenient and/or costly to travel to a meeting, we would hopefully attract a significantly greater number of attendees if we adopted a hybrid approach.

David Levy

Hello David long time no see  Smile

I also was wondering about new formats. At virtual meetings, do proxy votes still feature. If so, there are problems when motions are amended.
Even without proxies, for these big issues even if everyone can see what's been amended it's all a bit quick for those who have come cold.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any protocols (or system of managing) that allowed motions to be debated online; I was thinking in a way that's more organised than a very long pile, of which most people see a short window.
This would allow motions to be amended and considered at a speed to include those coming from different levels of prior awareness.
Cheers

(15-04-2022, 11:24 AM)WBuchanan Wrote:
(15-04-2022, 10:16 AM)davidlevy Wrote: Has anyone suggested changing the format of AGMs and EGMs to a hybrid, so that CS members can participate, spectate and contribute at these meetings? Since the start of the pandemic it has become commonplace for many regular academic conferences to be either wholly virtual or hybrid. In the case of CS, in which many members find it inconvenient and/or costly to travel to a meeting, we would hopefully attract a significantly greater number of attendees if we adopted a hybrid approach.

David Levy

Indeed!

Thanks for circulating this. How exactly should I respond to posts? I'm new to this forum.

(15-04-2022, 11:30 AM)davidlevy Wrote:
(15-04-2022, 11:24 AM)WBuchanan Wrote:

David Levy

Indeed!

Thanks for circulating this. How exactly should I respond to posts? I'm new to this forum.
If you want to reply to a particlular post theres a little 'reply' box. The post you are replying to will be quoted.
For a fresh post or general reply to everyone there's a bigger box with 'New Reply'.

RE: Special General Meeting - Good Governance - amuir - 15-04-2022

If anyone wants to organise an SGM or an AGM I would like to go in person. Bring it on!