Forums
Appearance fees for our best players - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Chess Chat (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Appearance fees for our best players (/thread-155.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - robin moore - 22-12-2011

David,

If we are going to consider this route, it has to the Czech Open for me. An overseas event that is excellent value for money, adequate accomodation 5 minutes walk from venue, and being at Pardubice, a fair chance you may run into similar opponents you will meet later that year at the Euroyouth in Prague or the World at Slovenia. It definitely ticks a lot of boxes.

Andy M,

There is some great coaching being done at clubs up and down the country and we are delighted by the overall standard. For online coaching, we are going for the best we feel we have. I basically allocate students to these coaches, they give me an initial assessment of their student, then update me roughly once a month. They will also keep in touch with that students club coach to ensure there is no conflict or confusion for students and coaches alike. A lot of our students are fairly isolated geographically and don't have a regular local club coach. When this is fully set up, all juniors in the Scotland squad and fringes will have the opportunity of a top player helping them on a one-to-one basis.

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - Clement Sreeves - 22-12-2011

David,

Yes, I would envisage a set-up similar to what we have at the Euro/World/Glorney/Liverpool etc

Robin, the Czech open is great for older juniors, but would probably still be too tough for the younger ones? What would you suggest for them?

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - Derek Howie - 22-12-2011

How does this fit in with the Glorney?

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - Angus McDonald - 22-12-2011

Clement,

I don't accept your interpretation of The World Youth results.

I was head of delegation there. You have belittled the result in an attempt to support your view. That's unhelpful. The result is not worse than other Euroyouth or World Youth results imho. The juniors tried incredibly hard and Derek Howie gave excellent technical support downloading games and going over games
on fritz with a lot of the squad. I was moved to see players up at 5am to do prep so they could get internet connection. I know this because I was also up doing the same =) You think they shouldn't have been there whilst they all wanted to be there. Why shouldn't they have the opportunity if that's what parents and juniors want? It's a fairly basic human right imho. If not the best at their age groups they were near the best at their age groups in Scotland. That should be enough.

Brazil is a country of 200 million people with as many young people living there as within the whole of Western Europe. When you talk about filler players you are underestimating those players and also our players who scored well against them. Sao Paulo city is 4 times the population of Scotland and has 100s of Chess Clubs. Chess is thriving within Brazil.
Argentina has a population 8 times the size of Scotland again with a big young population.
An interesting stat is that 3 out of 9 Scotland players were 2nd highest fide risers within their section.
Told you this stat would be handy :-) I guess we could lament the fact that they weren't 1st highest fide grading risers.
One could highlight say Ian's performance. He scored 3.5 points out of 9 with 3.5 scored against players from Brazil and Argentina. Do you think Ian isn't good enough to go to these events?
With your approach Hamish wouldn't even have been there.

Finally, Clement, I suggest you look at your own grading graph to see what can be achieved. I think many of the players who went to Brazil compare favourably against your historical grading graph.

I'd tip some of them to emulate your excellent performance.

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - David Deary - 22-12-2011

Derek Howie Wrote:How does this fit in with the Glorney?

That crossed my mind Derek. As last year when I was in Pardubice Daniel was playing in Ireland. Do they clash this year?

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - Andrew McHarg - 22-12-2011

Agreed Angus... which is pretty rare isn't it as we usually disagree? lol :U

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - Clement Sreeves - 22-12-2011

Sorry Angus, I wasn't meaning to single out this particular World Youth, just taking it as an example. But I think it is a pretty common pattern over the last few years.

Actually, I also did very badly every time I played in any Euro or World youth event, even with a CS grade of 2185 in 2009/10, and 2124 in 2010/11

Guys,

I have to go to work now but I shall tell you now there are some changes not of concern about the Glorney, however they do relate to change of venue and possibly date. Paul is dealing with this and I will let you all know definites when I have them. Thanks again for fantastic input from all, keep it going!

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - Derek Howie - 22-12-2011

David Deary Wrote:That crossed my mind Derek. As last year when I was in Pardubice Daniel was playing in Ireland. Do they clash this year?

David, I don't know the dates for the Glorney but it's highly possible that they clash again.

It's got potential for being a busy time with the Scottish, Terafinal, Glorney, the British, Pardubice and Mureck all happening during the school holidays, and the Euros starting the day after the schools go back.