Forums
Appearance fees for our best players - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Chess Chat (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Appearance fees for our best players (/thread-155.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - Mike Scott - 24-12-2011

Merry Christmas to one and all!

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - David Deary - 24-12-2011

Mike Scott Wrote:Merry Christmas to one and all!

You're a little early Mike. Merry Christmas to you and to everyone else on this thread. Have a good one and I hope you get the presents your looking for. I've asked for 100 grading points by the end of the season. 8)

On topic:
I think Craig's post is a good one and sums up the reality of chess in Scotland rather well.

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - Andrew McHarg - 25-12-2011

Mike Scott Wrote:Merry Christmas to one and all!

Likewise... have a good one guys! Big Grin

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - Patrick McGovern - 27-12-2011

forgive me if this has been mentioned already (no time to check 15 pages) but regarding seniors; i refer you to Gerry Sadovitch, "OAP's ? I hate them, should shoot them at birth"
i think he means that we put all our money into the juniors, Big Grin

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - Gary McPheator - 30-12-2011

I implore Andy Muir to ignore the "only think of the juniors" brigade and fight tooth and nail to acquire some financial assistance for the Seniors. It is a travesty that the a team that has the potential to medal receives no funding whatsoever. If this can't be found from outside the cs budget, or from outside the monies set aside for internationals, then this should be syphoned from elsewhere within the international budget. As there is more scope for cutting back within the junior international scene I would suggest that this is where we are most likely to find the funds to support our Senior team.

Re: Appearance fees for our best players - Andy Howie - 30-12-2011

Ok Gary,

I'll turn this completely on its head. In 2013 we are hosting the Glorney as it is our turn. Does this then mean that we can expect to siphon the extra money we need from the Adult International budget?

No it does not seem fair to me either.

Andy M requests and is allocated a budget. It is down to him as to how it is spent.

I hope Andy requests and receives a budget that allows him to help out the senior team. There is no guarantee however that all directors' budget requests can be met. I merely pointed out my prefered order of where this funding should be found if horsetrading is needed. As regards the Glorney, I would not have a problem with funding being siphoned from the adult iternational budget if the additional monies needed can't be found from eleswhere. It has to be said though that there is more scope to find such funds from within the junior international budget.

Quote:It has to be said though that there is more scope to find such funds from within the junior international budget.

I am interested in how you come to that conclusion? Tournament expenditure for last year was £15K and was split roughly 50:50 Adult : Junior. The junior budget has to cover more people for more tournaments

Andy Howie Wrote:
Quote:It has to be said though that there is more scope to find such funds from within the junior international budget.

I am interested in how you come to that conclusion? Tournament expenditure for last year was £15K and was split roughly 50:50 Adult : Junior. The junior budget has to cover more people for more tournaments

That is why it has more scope for cutbacks. Drop one tournament from the junior schedule, juniors will still have opportunities to represent the country abroad, drop one tournament from the adult schedule and you greatly if not entirely diminish adult opportunities.

Unlike the Adults, the European and Worlds are annual for the Juniors. Why should they miss out