Forums
AGM proposals - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Chess Chat (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: AGM proposals (/thread-1287.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Re: AGM proposals - WBuchanan - 07-08-2015

OK following constructive input here’s where I think my proposals are (with suggested material improvements highlighted):

1) AGM Proposal on eligibility:

To be eligible to compete for any Scottish individual national championship title (excluding primary school events), or to be eligible to represent Scotland in any international competition a person must be a member of Chess Scotland and must meet at least one of the prevailing eligibility requirements relating to

(i) birth - i.e. be born in Scotland,
(ii) bloodline - parent born in Scotland (or grandparent if so determined by a vote of CS members), or
(iii) residence - i.e. have lived in Scotland for the requisite number of years [currently 2].

These principal requirements shall be built into Chess Scotland’s criteria for eligibility for national Championships and for international selection, and into future Operating Procedures that relate to eligibility and the allocation of future FIDE ‘SCO’ registration codes. The criteria used and/or future Operating Procedures shall also deal with further parameters of these eligibility requirements, and other issues that arise (such as a shorter residency requirements for juniors, any ‘fadeout’ period for players qualifying on residence that later leave Scotland, players who have relinquished their SCO code etc).

For international selection, additional criteria may be set by the tournament organisers concerned (including age and rating limits). [END]

2) AGM Proposal on the grandparent rule

The ‘bloodline’ requirement in the eligibility criteria shall be changed from ‘parent born in Scotland’ to ‘grandparent born in Scotland’. [END]

In accordance with Andy B’s suggestion this could be added to the Championship criteria in the first paragraph::

"be registered as Scottish with FIDE and..."

In case this contentious issue (which deserves a vote as several players have stated this viewpoint on this forum, and one ran a poll) divides support for my proposal (which is more concerned with the democratic process rather than my personal view), I suggest that this is put forward as an amendment (assuming these are allowed) or better still another motion similar to the one on the grandparent rule’. Deadline is 6 pm tomorrow …

Possible additional proposal:

3) An additional requirement in the eligibility criteria for the Scottish Championship shall be that to be eligible to win the Scottish Championship a player must be registered as Scottish with FIDE. (Needs a proposer. Deadline is 6 pm tomorrow …)

Cheers
Walter

Re: AGM proposals - WBuchanan - 08-08-2015

Updated proposal on eligibility, new text highlighted:

To be eligible to compete for any Scottish individual national championship title (excluding primary school events), or to be eligible to represent Scotland in any international competition a person must be a member of Chess Scotland and must meet at least one of the prevailing eligibility requirements relating to

(ii) bloodline - parent born in Scotland (or grandparent if so determined by a vote of CS members), or
(iii) residence - i.e. have lived in Scotland for the requisite number of years [currently 2].

These principal requirements shall be built into Chess Scotland’s rules for eligibility for national Championships and rules for eligibility for international selection, and into future Operating Procedures that relate to eligibility and the allocation of future FIDE ‘SCO’ registration codes. The criteria used and/or future Operating Procedures shall also deal with further parameters of these eligibility requirements, and other issues that arise (such as a shorter residency requirements for juniors, any ‘fadeout’ period for players qualifying on residence that later leave Scotland, players who have relinquished their SCO code etc).

For international selection, additional criteria may be set by the tournament organisers concerned (including age and rating limits). [END]

Re: AGM proposals - HelenMilligan - 09-08-2015

Just curious to know where someone like me would stand? Member of Chess Scotland; Scottish by birth and parent and grandparents (back to year dot so far as I can tell); currently registered and resident NZL. Still a British citizen and thus eligible to play in the British championship. Definitely inclined to upgrade to a Scottish passport when/if they are issued! Obviously not eligible to play in any Scottish team (though I was asked, not very long after I changed to NZL...)

Re: AGM proposals - amuir - 09-08-2015

We haven't had any notice of AGM procedures.
How do candidates get nominated to stand. ?
When is the deadline for submission of proposals ?
Walter put a deadline of 6pm yesterday - My proposals were put on noticeboard before that time but I emailed Andy Howie at 10pm yesterday. Are they now ruled incompetent ? I have not indicated whether I will be standing for ID position or Selector position (or both) by any deadline. Am I permitted to stand ?
I need to know these answers to decide whether I should turn up for meeting.

Re: AGM proposals - WBuchanan - 09-08-2015

HelenMilligan Wrote:Just curious to know where someone like me would stand? Member of Chess Scotland; Scottish by birth and parent and grandparents (back to year dot so far as I can tell); currently registered and resident NZL. Still a British citizen and thus eligible to play in the British championship. Definitely inclined to upgrade to a Scottish passport when/if they are issued! Obviously not eligible to play in any Scottish team (though I was asked, not very long after I changed to NZL...)

Hi Helen! How do yo mean you are not eligible - do you mean you haven't been selected?

I do think 'fadeout' criteria should be developed for people who qualify purely on residence and then leave. Currently (for example) Danny Kopec in theory could be selected based on living year for a fea years as a student in the 70s-80s.

There has been some discussion about Jacob Aagard's situation, but completely Scottish people who leave and play for another country - that's an interesting one. People say you shouldn't have two country codes, FIDE probably has this rule (others more knowledgeable than me about this will probably comment) but it could also be argued that you can't lose birthplace and parentage so you might always have the right to be considered for Scotland. This might be a problem anytime you wanted to play for NZ. The otheer thing is that transferring via FIDE takes time (and if it's wanted quickly, maybe a fee)

Good question though.

PS Ah - I already had the answer.

1.8 A player may only be registered with and only represent one Federation at any particular time
Recent link here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?view=article&id=180">https://www.fide.com/component/handbook ... cle&id=180</a><!-- m -->

Also: Transfer Regulations.pdf 26/07/15 Link is here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?view=article&id=151">https://www.fide.com/component/handbook ... cle&id=151</a><!-- m -->
(hat-tip to Alistair White)

Re: AGM proposals - Ianbrownlee - 09-08-2015

amuir Wrote:We haven't had any notice of AGM procedures.How do candidates get nominated to stand. ?When is the deadline for submission of proposals ? Walter put a deadline of 6pm yesterday - My proposals were put on noticeboard before that time but I emailed Andy Howie at 10pm yesterday. Are they now ruled incompetent ? I have not indicated whether I will be standing for ID position or Selector position (or both) by any deadline. Am I permitted to stand ?I need to know these answers to decide whether I should turn up for meeting.

We haven't had any notice of AGM procedures.How do candidates get nominated to stand. ?When is the deadline for submission of proposals ? Walter put a deadline of 6pm yesterday - My proposals were put on noticeboard before that time but I emailed Andy Howie at 10pm yesterday. Are they now ruled incompetent ? I have not indicated whether I will be standing for ID position or Selector position (or both) by any deadline. Am I permitted to stand ?I need to know these answers to decide whether I should turn up for meeting.

1. Andy H only got back from holiday at midnight so he hasn't had a chance regarding postings
2. Walter is correct for the 6 PM deadline . The selection post doesn't yet exist and if the ID position hasn't been nominated and seconded by this time by anyone it becomes a vacant position. However if it is a vacant position then the post can be filled in on the day by the AGM. I believe as long as you have a proposer and seconder you can stand for any vacant position

I am surprised you are indicating you may not turn up on the day given you have said you have seven proposals on the agenda. As I see it at least one of these proposals must fall as it is the current status/position and therefore there is no proposal

Re: AGM proposals - Jim Webster - 09-08-2015

AGM calling notice - July 18th Wrote:Any proposals for consideration at the AGM must be received by the Executive Director in writing (including e-mail) at least three weeks before the meeting (i.e. not later than 18:00 on Saturday 8th August 2015), and must be proposed and seconded by members.

It would seem that no proposal submitted after the time and date specified are invalid. Posting on the noticeboard under the above is not the submission of a motion.

Re: AGM proposals - Douglas Bryson - 09-08-2015

Walter proposes a "fadeout" period for people whose only connection to Scotland is one of residency. This could mean that players (not born here but arrived with foreign parents) who from junior days have represented Scotland and have no wish to represent any other country will never be quite Scottish enough and would then lose their Scottish status during the fadeout period by moving out of Scotland to study or get a job.

I count 5 of the FIDE top 10 Scots as currently resident outwith Scotland. I guess they were all born here or of Scottish parents - but would we now have to check their place of birth and parentage to see if their Scottish accreditation is fading.

Re: AGM proposals - Douglas Bryson - 09-08-2015

WBuchanan Wrote:Updated proposal on eligibility, new text highlighted:

These principal requirements shall be built into Chess Scotland’s rules for eligibility for national Championships and rules for eligibility for international selection, and into future Operating Procedures that relate to eligibility and the allocation of future FIDE ‘SCO’ registration codes. [END]

Does this proposal mean that you need to be a CS member to get a SCO code?

Re: AGM proposals - Ianbrownlee - 09-08-2015

Douglas Bryson Wrote:Does this proposal mean that you need to be a CS member to get a SCO code?

don't follow the logic there Douglas although there is an argument you need to be a member of CS to play for Scotland (as is the case I believe), at least at adult level. The SCO code argument I think almost needs a meeting of its own. I also think too many people have altered perceptions to accommodate strong people. That's OK if you understand future possible ramifications. Rules are rules which is why eligibility and SCO codes are so important. I don't have any real personal opinion on the argument ( I leave it to more Scholars amongst us to persuade us) but I'm sure the rules once in place should be clear and simple enough. BTW I saw Andy B's comment regarding the British and agree with him. Our only concern is the Scottish as we have no input on the British ( if that makes sense)