Forums
CS Council Censorship - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: General Chess Chat (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: CS Council Censorship (/thread-1165.html)

CS Council Censorship - Derek Howie - 18-03-2015

As a member of Council, I submitted a point to be included in the agenda for this weekend's Council meeting and I have just been informed that it will not be included, without any reasons being given.

A report on child protection was produced and I had asked for it to be included and had said that "I am not expecting a full review of the report but just that it be formally introduced and available for any relevant areas within CS to consider when reviewing their rules and procedures."

Many of you will be aware that there is a lot of background to the production of the report, but that should surely not be relevant and I would have thought that any input on such an important subject would be welcomed.

I am genuinely unaware why the directors of CS are refusing a CS Council member/CS member to have this on the agenda.

For those who are interested, the report can be downloaded from the link below and you can judge for yourselves if there is any reason for this censorship, although I would not be surprised if this post gets deleted, given the attitude of the CS directors

http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/ByzMkS89/file.html

Re: CS Council Censorship - Jim Webster - 18-03-2015

I fail to see how ANY submission to council, that doesn't actually make it on to the Agenda, amounts to Censorship.

Nor am I aware that explanations need to be given as a right, perhaps as a courtesy.

I also submitted items, and haven't heard formally back from council, but given that the closing date for submissions was Saturday and the Agenda may not have been finalized by then - I'm not the least put out.

As a "member of council" does not give anyone precedence of agenda submissions, but at the end of the day someone has to make decisions and take into consideration all factors
... time available
... topics submitted
and then prioritise.

Then there is always the "catch-all" AOCB, but you have to be in attendance for that one.

Depending on your viewpoint (fortunately/unfortunately) I won't make this one.

Re: CS Council Censorship - Derek Howie - 18-03-2015

Jim Webster Wrote:As a "member of council" does not give anyone precedence of agenda submissions, but at the end of the day someone has to make decisions and take into consideration all factors
... time available
... topics submitted
and then prioritise.

I wonder what items were judged to be a higher priority than Child Protection?

Re: CS Council Censorship - Ianbrownlee - 18-03-2015

Hi Derek
I have downloaded your report and briefly read it (and will digest it later). From what I can see it has been very well written and you and your committee can be congratulated on it. I would like to speak to you about the points you made and where and when this should be progressed. I appreciate you are focused on where to go from here but I'm sure you would agree the forum wouldn't be the place to discuss this piecemeal. If you wish my personal opinion then I agree the points you make should be made in person either at council or at an AGM. I also believe this should be resolved asap.

Re: CS Council Censorship - Patrick McGovern - 18-03-2015

Tried to download and got a Trojan, be careful.

Re: CS Council Censorship - Ianbrownlee - 18-03-2015

Patrick McGovern Wrote:Tried to download and got a Trojan, be careful.

yeah but as long as you click on the correct link you' should be Okay. I'm more than happy to email it to anybody that wants it

Re: CS Council Censorship - Derek Howie - 19-03-2015

Ianbrownlee Wrote:Hi Derek
I have downloaded your report and briefly read it (and will digest it later). From what I can see it has been very well written and you and your committee can be congratulated on it. I would like to speak to you about the points you made and where and when this should be progressed. I appreciate you are focused on where to go from here but I'm sure you would agree the forum wouldn't be the place to discuss this piecemeal. If you wish my personal opinion then I agree the points you make should be made in person either at council or at an AGM. I also believe this should be resolved asap.

Thanks for you comments, Ian. I'm happy to discuss with you at some point. The main reason for posting it wasn't for it to be discussed here but rather to make it available to both current and future directors and Council members who may wish to implement some or all of the recommendations.

As I said before, I'm not sure why the Executive Director was told not to put it onto the Council agenda, but hopefully any relevant parties can access it here and use as they see as appropriate.

Patrick McGovern Wrote:Tried to download and got a Trojan, be careful.

If you click on the top download button, you should be OK. Alternatively you can use this link:

http://www.oboom.com/OZ40FYI5/Report+on+Child+Protection.docx