Forums
Tromso Olympiad - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Members Only (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Forum: Live Games (https://www.chessscotland.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Tromso Olympiad (/thread-1036.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Re: Tromso Olympiad - Alan Tate - 20-08-2014

What I am trying to say is, for roughly 80% of the entire adult budget, I would like to see things done a lot more professionally. Compulsory SQUAD training BEFORE the event, a qualified coach to assist the players DURING the event... hopefully these things would lead to a positive atmosphere in the camp, which would in turn lead to better TEAM results. I just don't see the point in spending all this money unless it's done right.

Re: Tromso Olympiad - Kevin Mayo - 20-08-2014

It would be hard to describe that as anything other than sensible.

Given it is Chess Scotland's money that is being spent why are representatives of Chess Scotland not making these decisions. At the very least canvassing all the opinions of the relevant parties and making a good decision based thereupon.
The very fact it's being "discussed" on this noticeboard shows what a glaring hole there is in the decision making process(es).

"£300 funding per player, you can spend this how you please."
I am horrified.

Re: Tromso Olympiad - amuir - 20-08-2014

If I am playing European Team, I do not want to spend £300 given to me on training.
I would rather it was spent on flight costs.
Andrew Greet played very well with no training.
MORE TRAINING = MORE EXPENSIVE FOR PLAYERS TO PLAY , THEREFORE THEY WON'T PLAY !!!!

Actually I will be happy for a long discussion on things at the AGM too.

It was very difficult not to have 2 captains this time round since I was ID and wanted to be captain, and Keti as GM and board 1 for Women's team wanted her husband as captain.

For 2016 , we could have 0,1 or 2 captains, I don't know at the moment. Should the process for the captain selection be changed to a committee ? of whom ?

The Matthew Turner issue should also be discussed.

Jacob had compulsory training in 2006 but team finished below seeding

Re: Tromso Olympiad - andyburnett - 20-08-2014

Quote:It was very difficult not to have 2 captains this time round since I was ID and wanted to be captain, and Keti as GM and board 1 for Women's team wanted her husband as captain.

Give people enough rope.... :-l

Re: Tromso Olympiad - Clement Sreeves - 20-08-2014

amuir Wrote:Andrew Greet played very well with no training.

amuir Wrote:Jacob had compulsory training in 2006 but team finished below seeding

=Smile Angry) 3:-O :ymalien: Sad|) :o3 (~~)

Re: Tromso Olympiad - Alan Tate - 20-08-2014

The European Team is completely different to the Olympiad. One is a mostly self-funded event where we do not send the strongest players and expectations are low - even with the top 3 boards all performing 100 odd points above our ratings we still finished 3rd from bottom or something.

The Olympiad represents a genuine chance for Scotland to actually do something. A small fee from the players for some training/and a coach is a very small price to pay for 10 amateurs on an all expenses paid trip for 2 weeks. Just because it was tried once does not mean it is not a good idea.

Yes, there needs to be a panel to decide the captain, and also any selector of any kind who has a conflict of interest should step aside on that occasion.

Re: Tromso Olympiad - hamish olson - 20-08-2014

I think Graham Morrison's suggestion merits a lot of attention as it seems cheap and logical.

Alan, who would you want for Olympiad captain(s) in 2016 ?
Who do you want to do the training ? how much of £4500 travel costs would you want to be used for training ?
would it be compulsory ? would you deselect a player for not attending training ?

Re: Tromso Olympiad - Andy Howie - 20-08-2014

Who says it will be £4500 in two years time??

There are other ways of raising funds. Sponsorship for one. I'm sure there are companies out there that would be willing to part with money in return for sponsoring the team adding to the funds allowing training.

Who would do it, Ask Jacob, I bet he has a list as long as his arm of people who we could use.

Why not try it.

Kevin,

I would love to do what they did in Turkey and offer $1,000,000 for the first U25 to get the GM title. Unfortunately we don't have a bank sponsoring us. With an annual budget of around £30k we are not going to go far trying to help players get IM titles (much to my dismay).

Here is a thought. I know people are not sure of the idea but compulsory membership bringing the membership fee to a level similar to other sports can increase the budget anywhere from 60k to 100k depending on takeup. I pay my membership monthly. I pay £10 a month and put £120 a year into the budget. If people paid as little as £5 a month it would make a massive difference and we would be able to assist players this way, we would be able to run training as suggested above. Who would miss a fiver a month? Suddenly the funds are there to have a decent Scottish every year, to do the things that have been suggested. To give decent prizes to the grand prix, the list is endless.

We have been told that on the basis of the Commonwealth and how it was perceived by the foreign players who fed back to their federations, that we should really bid for a major tournament. I had two foreign presidents begging me to give them details of the next big tournament we are doing as the players loved it here.

Look at the gaps in the directorate, we need a marketing director, we need someone to bring in sponsorship for us. Surely there is someone out there who has the time and knowledge to do this?

Food for thought?

You asked what the strategic direction for CS is? Its simple, we need to grow, we need to be seen as an attractive investment for companies so we can fund the programs you are all crying out for. To do that we need to stop the nonsense that goes on and pull together to do this. Its not Hamish and me that can do this, its not the Directorate or the council members, it is everyone. It will take everyone to do this. Sitting back and complaining just isn't going to cut it anymore. Its time that people stopped moaning and complaining and got off their backsides and did something.

I don't know what Tromso has done to me but now I see things more clearly. We have to stop thinking small and holding ourselves back. We can make the change but we all have to do it