Forums

Full Version: Richardson/Spens - what next?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Oh my bad, did you play in the Richardson last year?
Maybe, but it will be back in it's rightful home in 2015 - Edinburgh CCs cabinet!

Form is temporary, class is permanent Wink
D-Oswald Wrote:Oh my bad, did you play in the Richardson last year?
Maybe, but it will be back in it's rightful home in 2015 - Edinburgh CCs cabinet!

We didn't play last year but pretty much every year before that I think.

"Form is temporary, class is permanent"
This would be why you win your first richardson cup in 20+ years and then get knocked out in the first round? Back to where you belong Tongue
andyburnett Wrote:RICHARDSON-8 teams (of 6 or 8 players, preferably 8)
-2 groups of 4 (=3 matches per team)
-top 2 from each group into semis
-central venue for semis and final (semis on Saturday/ final on Sunday, 3rd/4th play-off also on Sunday)
-(max = 5 games per season)

-FIDE rated, 1 game per day, 40 in 2 hours + 30 allegro (or equivalent increment control)

-Live boards for finals, live commentary also (I'll do it if not playing!) [This is our 'sponsorship selling point' - sponsorship covers venue costs over 'final' weekend.]

-both finalists get Euro Club Cup spot

SPENS CUP
-as above as far as possible

FIDE rated would be practically impossible unless we used a central venue or have a massive increase in the number of arbiters due to the new rules on FIDE events
I'll throw something else into the mix. Why don't we offer a European place to the winner of SNCL Division 1? They have to play 7 games, have a similar team size etc etc...
Andy: I had actually thought that was already the setup and had assumed Edinburgh had qualified last year as winner of SNCL and Ed West as runners up in Richardson. I agree thats a good idea. I don't play in the Richardsons and will leave the competition format for those who do to debate.

To put a bit of focus on the Spens which our club made their debut in this season, I would like to see central venues. or regional group tables 4 groups of 4 teams would be great if we could get it, or 2 groups of 4. Odd numbers and 3 groups could be manageable also. Then central venues when you get to the knockout stage. I don't want to see it be a Sat/Sun all weekender, as the 1 day of chess is appealing and it is nice to still have a bit of your weekend. This would see an end to the plate (Rosebowl) competition.

The Spens this year wasn't really a Scottish wide event. it was 6 teams from the West and 2 from Lothian in the East. It would have been good to have seen North/Fife, and more East/Lothian representation. The interest I agree clearly has to be improved and formatting therefore must be more appealing to clubs.

Perhaps it is going to need i nvestment and CS taking a bit of a hit by means of making the competition free next year to kickstart the interest and retain the teams already playing in it. Please don't shoot me down for that idea, it is just a thought! As things stand I don't think our club will be entering again next year.
When my club played, we would normally arrange the ties with Hamilton and play them at the same venue. Maybe this is something that can be looked at a) to save costs and b) if there is a desire to FIDE rate. There would need to be a FIDE licenced arbiter at the venue for it. Thats what makes it so hard to FIDE rate the tournament
Andy Howie Wrote:
andyburnett Wrote:RICHARDSON-8 teams (of 6 or 8 players, preferably 8)
-2 groups of 4 (=3 matches per team)
-top 2 from each group into semis
-central venue for semis and final (semis on Saturday/ final on Sunday, 3rd/4th play-off also on Sunday)
-(max = 5 games per season)

-FIDE rated, 1 game per day, 40 in 2 hours + 30 allegro (or equivalent increment control)

-Live boards for finals, live commentary also (I'll do it if not playing!) [This is our 'sponsorship selling point' - sponsorship covers venue costs over 'final' weekend.]

-both finalists get Euro Club Cup spot

SPENS CUP
-as above as far as possible

FIDE rated would be practically impossible unless we used a central venue or have a massive increase in the number of arbiters due to the new rules on FIDE events

True, but it would be possible to FIDE-rate the 'finals weekend' in my version of the competition - which would be something at least?!

As for which 8 clubs would populate the Richardson, perhaps the 8 which got through the 1st round this year? Perhaps there are other ways to decide this (average rating/results from 2014/2015 and implement the new system the following year/etc?).

As for new teams...hmmm, not sure...but I'm guessing it would be unlikely that any new team would be of a competitive standard in the Richardson? (Of course, the National League has shown this isn't always the case, but at least in the Richardson/Spens any new team would only have to wait/win one season as opposed to 3 seasons in the National League before they reach their 'correct' level).

I disagree with Andy M (really?-ed.) that the status quo should remain. There is always scope for improvement. Stagnation has already killed off lots of competitions and it's great that Keith Rose is so open to ideas/suggestions/discussion.
hamish olson Wrote:
D-Oswald Wrote:Oh my bad, did you play in the Richardson last year?

We didn't play last year but pretty much every year before that I think.

"Form is temporary, class is permanent"
This would be why you win your first richardson cup in 20+ years and then get knocked out in the first round? Back to where you belong Tongue

haha might have been the first Richardson since 1987 (what a celebration we had by the way!) but it was also number 24 for the club... Aren't Bon Accord still waiting for number 1... Wink

We weren't good enough this year though. Thought Poly would go on to win it, but you have to give Dragons credit! All the best to you both in the final, may the best team win!

Andy B - I still don't understand how a team would get into the 8... which team would get 'relegated' if a strong new team wanted to get in? Sorry if I'm being stupid Smile
Also, not sure about giving a European place to the SNCL. Generally speaking, the top teams that play in the SNCL aren't as strong as the top Richardson teams so might be a bit of a back door (intertoto cup!) into Europe! Of course the team that wins the SNCL will be strong, but it doesn't seem to attract as many of the top players, like the Richardson does. Maybe a Europe place would change that but I doubt it...
I think Div 1 is going to get a whole lot stronger...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7