Forums

Full Version: Richardson & Spens results
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Andy B
I am happy to give you my views when I next meet you. It is up to arbiters what they wish to disclose.
If Wandering Dragons wish to contact the Bon Accord captain or the match referee Alistair Maxwell about any issue, please do so. Please copy me in on any correspondence.
Here we go again.... I'm not particularly interested in your views unless you have cast a deciding vote Andy. I would, however, like the arbiters who have been asked their opinions to make these decisions public so we can all understand what's what. Then if rules need changing/tightening/relaxing/whatever we are discussing it from a point of more complete knowledge.

Here's the story so far (or as far as I know)...

I was made aware of a rumour that Jonathan Rowson playing for Bon Accord in the final was a possibility. I informally contacted Hamish Olson and match arbiter Alistair Maxwell about the bona fide status of Jonathan representing BA, simply because I wouldn't want it to become a problem this Saturday (or beyond).

I also contacted my team captain, and also our highest-rated player. Neither of them have any problem with Jonathan (if indeed it is he) playing for BA, as I mentioned up-thread.
I can only surmise that this 'arbiters voting' idea was as a result of a BA player looking for clarification.

Personally, I am 50-50 on someone playing for a team they haven't represented since last century. If they still meet the requirements of the rules, then fine. If they don't, then tough.

However, it seems to me recently that certain people within the chess scene in Scotland feel that they can do whatever they please, so long as they don't blatantly contravene the 'laws'.

-Gamesmanship? Fine. BA can field whoever they want, or bluff, or take a running jump.
-Decisions made out of self-interest? Fine. Make yourself captain and go on a jolly jaunt to Norway where half the team don't respect you.
-Make the rules up as you go along? Fine. Decide that an invisible '80 points grading order' rule exists.

Personally I am sick and tired of it - it's pathetic, inexcusable and not what I am looking for in a 'national chess culture'. All this talk of bringing more and more juniors into chess - why not try to give them a chess culture worth being part of?
I really hope that the decision is only made public after the final, as publically releasing the outcome of it would certainly help one of the teams prep.

I also find it sad to note that someone has been discussing our team selection with our opponents, which they are now trying to act upon.

As for taking a running jump, I'd rather not, unless of course it is into a swimming pool of champagne to celebrate our victory.
Adam Bremner Wrote:I really hope that the decision is only made public after the final, as publically releasing the outcome of it would certainly help one of the teams prep.

I also find it sad to note that someone has been discussing our team selection with our opponents, which they are now trying to act upon.

As for taking a running jump, I'd rather not, unless of course it is into a swimming pool of champagne to celebrate our victory.

-I wouldn't expect or want the result to be made public before the final for the reasons you give.

-Apparently it's been reasonably common knowledge (as a rumour) since about an hour after the semi-final. You should look at your own team first perhaps - but feel free to thank me for getting your captain/whoever to do the job he ought to have done in the first place (re: checking bona fide membership status with the arbiter/controller). You're welcome. Anytime.

-I don't think a victory either way would be a surprise now. However, beating Hamilton is one thing; beating the Dragons quite another Wink Not surprised, though, that you felt your team was needing a 'wee bit extra' to give us a decent match.
Andy B
I was trying to be helpful but as usual this has not worked.
Hope the final is played in good spirits.
Alistair Maxwell will deal with any disputes.
I have done my bit.
andyburnett Wrote:Out of interest, will the arbiters' reasoning for their decisions be made public? Not necessarily along with each arbiter's name (though I can't imagine why that should be a problem for them) but in the interests of transparency and open-ness.

For the record, Wandering Dragons don't much care who turns out against them for Bon Accord in the Richardson Final (highly-rated GM? multiple British Champion? Bring them on says our captain! Smile )
nor even how much of an appearance fee and travel expenses they are reportedly receiving for turning up to play (we'll even offer to chip in towards it if BA need us to!), but we would like to know the what, why and how of the decisions taken - whichever way the arbiters voting goes. It would be useful information for all the other teams in Scotland to know also.

I can categorically deny that Bon Accord will be paying an appearance fee for me to play in the final. In fact after my performance in the semi-finals (only member of the BA team to lose), I will be taking the overnight Megabus all the way from London this weekend with no guarantees for my journey home if I'm forced to resign the game again.
amuir Wrote:Andy B
I was trying to be helpful but as usual this has not worked.
Hope the final is played in good spirits.
Alistair Maxwell will deal with any disputes.
I have done my bit.

I know you were Andy - unfortunately, for me, it would take far more than that for me to respect you or your decisions again.

Anyway, I'm sure the final will be played in good spirits - just like that last match we had against Hamilton. Problems beforehand, jolly good friends during the game, and then...oh yeah, now I remember Wink
andyburnett Wrote:
Adam Bremner Wrote:I really hope that the decision is only made public after the final, as publically releasing the outcome of it would certainly help one of the teams prep.

-I wouldn't expect or want the result to be made public before the final for the reasons you give.

-Apparently it's been reasonably common knowledge (as a rumour) since about an hour after the semi-final. You should look at your own team first perhaps - but feel free to thank me for getting your captain/whoever to do the job he ought to have done in the first place (re: checking bona fide membership status with the arbiter/controller). You're welcome. Anytime.

-I don't think a victory either way would be a surprise now. However, beating Hamilton is one thing; beating the Dragons quite another Wink Not surprised, though, that you felt your team was needing a 'wee bit extra' to give us a decent match.

-Grand

-It was 100% not told to you by one of our players. The person who told you knew they were essentially helping you guys out, and would know we were trying to keep it quiet from Dragons, that is what annoys me. Since we found there was an issue being made of it, myself and Hamish decided we should get a second opinion, although we are 90% sure everything is OK. Perhaps we were naïve in expecting there would be no issues over it.

-Ooooooooooooooooh. Bring it. Smile Our victory was getting on the plane to Bilbao, anything more is a nice bonus. A nice silvery bonus.

P.S. Taking large numbers of inflatables is fine, right?
Adam Bremner Wrote:
andyburnett Wrote:

-Grand

-It was 100% not told to you by one of our players. The person who told you knew they were essentially helping you guys out, and would know we were trying to keep it quiet from Dragons, that is what annoys me. Since we found there was an issue being made of it, myself and Hamish decided we should get a second opinion, although we are 90% sure everything is OK. Perhaps we were naïve in expecting there would be no issues over it.

-Ooooooooooooooooh. Bring it. Smile Our victory was getting on the plane to Bilbao, anything more is a nice bonus. A nice silvery bonus.

P.S. Taking large numbers of inflatables is fine, right?

-Grand Smile

-Nothing is ever 100% Adam when it comes to people Wink

-Bring as many inflatables as you like - we'll bring some real women with us if that's alright with you? ;Wink
Haha, thanks, but we prefer sheep
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11