Forums

Full Version: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Steve Hilton Wrote:
Quote:I would suggest the following,
Allow me to play in the Ayr tournament by using skype from my home. Then you would have valuable experience and information in regards to aims of this motion, which I repeat is a good one but there should have been more consultation that's all

Steve, normally I am open to experimenting and trying new things at events I organise but as there is a motion to put together a working party I am reluctant to go ahead and do my own thing at the January event before the working party has had a chance to consider things. For the January event there is also the question of resources at the congress venue.

To get back to the topic, if the motion is passed, I would be happy to experiment with this at an event later in the year, once a working party has had a chance to consider the subject and make recommendations on how such remote particpation would work within any rules that would need to be set.

I would think that any working party would need a variety of people who had the skills and knowledge to come up with a workable system.
is it possible to put a few boards on the chess Scotland web site and play a few games out to start with? I don't think it would be feasible for this to work without good intentions and ground rules. I also think it would be entertaining to watch games on the chess Scotland website although there would have to have the players supervised by unbiased volunteers and isolated without microchips shoved down shoes (see what I did there). By definition, remote access would make it difficult for unpaid volunteers to traval to remote destinations.

Maybe it's time to step out of the box for a minute. Maybe specific online tournaments run by CHESS SCOTLAND using Internet software is a short time solution in order to gain experience by interested parties. I play Internet Chess and while it's thrill I would be very interested in playing in one run by and played by, Chess Scotland. It would also have the knock on effect in introducing new friends within our national border for a lot of people , including "up North" and in the islands
David G Congalton Wrote:
Steve Hilton Wrote:
Quote:I would suggest the following,
Allow me to play in the Ayr tournament by using skype from my home. Then you would have valuable experience and information in regards to aims of this motion, which I repeat is a good one but there should have been more consultation that's all

Steve, normally I am open to experimenting and trying new things at events I organise but as there is a motion to put together a working party I am reluctant to go ahead and do my own thing at the January event before the working party has had a chance to consider things. For the January event there is also the question of resources at the congress venue.

To get back to the topic, if the motion is passed, I would be happy to experiment with this at an event later in the year, once a working party has had a chance to consider the subject and make recommendations on how such remote particpation would work within any rules that would need to be set.

I would think that any working party would need a variety of people who had the skills and knowledge to come up with a workable system.

It really is an interesting concept. I am certainly interested with trying to work out how to implement this
amuir Wrote:Which comes first on the 11th ? AGM or Council meeting
I hope the AGM has enough time for the AOCB this time. I am not sure there will be enough funds for the Olympiad to get everything I want so I intend asking for a show of hands of what should get priority if I have to make cuts.

Andy,

The sum you are looking for, to get everything you want, is around 1/3 of the total income I'm projecting for the next financial year. This is not a criticism but the harsh reality raises a few questions for me, including what the CS startegy should be going forward and what direction we should take with the funds we have.

Do we fully support our top international players and expect success at this level to create a Fisher-Spassky type swell in interest, in the game in Scotland, in a similar way to perhaps curling or cycling have become of interest, through Scottish success at Olympics or do we invest our funds at home supporting events and projects in our own back yard.

I am not supporting one over the other but I think the discussion needs to take place. I do think its an issue for an AGM rather than a council meeting but this doesn't help for planning towards 2014.

One of the other things I was thinking about was can international players (both senior and junior) do more themselves to raise funds for international events, whether that be through a collective event such as a mass simul or through individual fundraising, a la Ashley Chess Girl.

How could Chess Scotland support such efforts, if players were willing to particpate. I have a large space in a smart hotel in Ayr booked for January and May of this year and part of it could be utilised for fund-raising efforts be they on the Saturday evening or during the lunch interval or even during game time, as not everyone finishes at once. Maybe one or two of the Olympiad squad could take on all comers at 2 minute blitz chess for a pound a game or offer a coaching seminar during the lunch interval for £5 per head.

If we want to fund everything at home and abroad, open, senior and junior then we need a massive increase in funds. At this point I'll mention compulsory membership and ask whether it's time to consider this for all players, adult and junior, who want their games graded. Does anyone know if this is working or not in England?
David,

Seems to be working in England fairly well. It was my intention to put together a discussion paper for the March Council meeting on this matter. I have most of it done already
Thread has been cleaned up and all the off topic posts have been removed.
David G Congalton Wrote:Do we fully support our top international players and expect success at this level to create a Fisher-Spassky type swell in interest, in the game in Scotland, in a similar way to perhaps curling or cycling have become of interest, through Scottish success at Olympics or do we invest our funds at home supporting events and projects in our own back yard.

I am not supporting one over the other but I think the discussion needs to take place. I do think its an issue for an AGM rather than a council meeting but this doesn't help for planning towards 2014.

To the end of Scottish "success", in terms of achieving the highest possible finishing position, for either team, should we consider fielding our female GM in the Women's Olympiad team instead of the Open team?
"I have a large space in a smart hotel in Ayr booked for January and May of this year and part of it could be utilised for fund-raising efforts be they on the Saturday evening or during the lunch interval or even during game time, as not everyone finishes at once. Maybe one or two of the Olympiad squad could take on all comers at 2 minute blitz chess for a pound a game or offer a coaching seminar during the lunch interval for £5 per head."

Some of the Olympiad team live in England !
Keti could play in the Women's team. Should she ?
How much should we spend on the Olympiad ? £4k ? £9k ? Appearance fees ?

Let's leave a good period for discussion on this and not waste any time on stupid things.
Andy,

Which part of Davids post did you think was stupid? He has given you the opportunity to raise some money towards the cost of the Olympiad and you seem to be throwing this back in his face??

Please tell me I am just reading this wrongly???
To be fair to Andy Muir, I haven't taken his post as saying my suggestions were stupid (he might have been but I haven't read it that way). I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong but I think he's asking for a decent time for discussion of the funding of the Olympiad teams (and selection) and less time spent talking about other items, which are possibly frivolous or getting side-tracked away down roads that don't lead anywhere.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21