Forums

Full Version: Continuation of AGM - motion 1.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
amuir Wrote:I am not generalising...

Yes you are...

amuir Wrote:I learnt that public schools cheat when playing online

Don't dig a deeper hole Andy.
Just to address to Andy's questions. I have no intention of putting a motion before Council about the selection criteria. I have never sought to change CS selection criteria. What I have said is that I would like to play for Scotland in an Olympiad one day - and in that nothing has changed.

In the 4NCL Eddie Dearing had an absolutely crushing position against me, but he forgot to move (because time trouble isn't such an issue with increment!) he therefore lost on time.

I continue to believe that you are completely out of order in what you have said about public schools cheating and I am disappointed that you are unable to appreciate that.
David C wrote
Quote:Megabus to Inverness can be had for £2 return. You can book a campsite at £8 per person for the two nights. You do need to bring your own tents though. £10 in total for the weekend.
These sorts of figures should be of interest to remote players keen to play in weekenders in, I assume, central Scotland. (Presumably Megabus from Inverness is also two quid.) At prices like those, who needs online facilities?
I am virtually certain that cheating will not be an issue if the ideas behind this motion mature. If I was an enthusiastic amateur living in somewhere like Barra or Benbecula I would be delighted to be given the opportunity to play online at a congress and cheating would be the furthest thing from my mind.

Let's look at one of the achievements of the late Robert Rough from Inverness. Robert set up an annual one day junior event in his home town and had children from as far away as Orkney and Stornoway competing. There can be no doubt of a level of interest from these "remote" communities.

ChessScotland....what does that mean to you? To me it means the whole of Scotland and as an organisation we have a duty and responsibility to try and support players in every corner of our country. I really hope we can bring the ideas to fruition.
Moderator hat on: can we please stop discussing decades-old alleged cases of cheating in school chess? Discussing whether remote chess is more prone to abuse: fine. Resurrecting ancient grudges to make unsubstantiated allegations: not fine. Thank you.
For the sake of Hugh and Andy H, I will say that remote chess is very prone to abuse and I will comment no further on public schools as people are getting annoyed about the subject.
I would like to comment on some issues raised

1 I don't like the way cheating is being banded about as if its rife - its not. Most treat chess like golf and apply self imposed fair play. We don't always get it right as its such a competitive game even when we usually mean well - we should be promoting the positive side of this : I've saw plenty of fair play over the years even at important matches - you don't hear much debate on that?

2 Fair play in chess should be stated prominently in all competition entry forms.

3 People who get caught cheating should be highlighted as an example of what not to do - that should be the biggest deterent- if its covered up its no deterrent.

3 I don't like the link between remote access to congresses and the expectation they will cheat. They will be under the spotlight and probably the last to do so - if you wanted to cheat its easier to do so on site. Clearly some checks and balances will be in place.

4 I understand certain players saying they don't want to play remote players - but not because they will be more likely to cheat. However sometimes its worth trying new things on a majority basis - chances are max would be 1 out of 5 games at most.

5 Mathew's selection - It would really affect the guy he would replace but if it's in the rules surely we should field the best players we can. I can't believe such an important decision was voted on by so few - certainly if I had have known it was so close I would have tried to make the vote or do it by proxy or email - Typical Scotland own goal!

6 Speaking of Own Goals - Andy M - you had been doing much better with your comments just after the AGM - pity you couldn't keep it going!
Alex Gillies Wrote:3 I don't like the link between remote access to congresses and the expectation they will cheat. They will be under the spotlight and probably the last to do so - if you wanted to cheat its easier to do so on site. Clearly some checks and balances will be in place.
absolutely correct In an ironic way I think with the safeguards that would be set up it would be more difficult to cheat although I think setting up a hybrid system between online and local chess would produce insurmountable challenges Possibly setting up a live board at a congress would provide some answers
I shall be staying off the noticeboard for a while to stop scoring any more own goals and I will now concentrate on sorting out the olympiad team. Goodbye.
bye
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21