Forums

Full Version: European Team Championships in Warsaw starting today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
After 29...Rxb2 Nxb2 Rb8 can W play Bc3? B can't take the Q with the B and though Qxc3 Qxc3 Nxc3 threatens murder on the long diagonal W seems to have Nc4-e5 to block it, maybe after playing Rh8 first.
After Bc3 Nxc3, W is still the exchange up but just losing because of the active black pieces!? Presumably the long diagonal murder then happens...great position!
Struggling today. Alan T in trouble and Jonathan about to lose. Andy should be ok for a draw but not more while Alan M. had a nice position but has just blown it in time trouble I think Sad

Tough playing 2500/2600 GM's every day - even Iceland's IM on board 4 is 2450.
WBuchanan Wrote:After 29...Rxb2 Nxb2 Rb8 can W play Bc3? B can't take the Q with the B and though Qxc3 Qxc3 Nxc3 threatens murder on the long diagonal W seems to have Nc4-e5 to block it, maybe after playing Rh8 first.
After Bc3 Nxc3, W is still the exchange up but just losing because of the active black pieces!? Presumably the long diagonal murder then happens...great position!

Yep, I can't see a defence after your last line with 31. Bc3 Nxc3. White is hogtied. Alan's Qxd3 was still a great move though as black would doubtless be looking for something simpler than this line, especially with the clock ticking down to the time-control.
another GM got away, I should really have won today, lost 3.5-0.5
amuir Wrote:another GM got away, I should really have won today, lost 3.5-0.5

Not sure it was ever that clear Andy. You could have delayed the f4+ push and tried for a better version of it - can't think of another point in the game where you had a better chance. Well played though - pressing against a 2500+ player is a good effort.

Unlike the Olympiad, there is little respite after a heavy defeat. Only Wales are weaker on paper but are certainly no pushover should we play them, although the general form of our boys suggests we can win a match (or even 2) before the end Smile

What are the conditions like in Warsaw? Just heard from Helen Milligan on Facebook that her (official?) hotel in Opatija, Croatia at the World Senior's is a flea-pit Sad Hopefully our guys playing there have better luck Smile
Andy,

With the (Fide) organisers of events dictating the "official" hotels players have to stay in, it often becomes a complete lottery as regards your accommodation (there can be some real howlers). There is no magic wand to suddenly conjure yourself into a luxurious room but there are a couple of main points to consider. The sooner teams are selected gives the best opportunity for the head of delegation to be in constant direct contact with the organisers to try and ensure the best rooms available. It also gives the best opportunity to book the cheapest available flights.
Organisers appreciate one to one one personal contacts with federations and will often be helpful to get you "on board" and booked in.
Graham's Rxf3 shown in the final position was a really good finish in that game. Congratulations to the team for a top performance today.
hotel and food are good, I am sharing with Alan Tate, he's quiet
We all concentrated today and another above par score 4-0 v wales
rest day tomorrow - castle + old town for souvenirs
well done to the team on a brilliant performance against Wales.
we reversed with a 0-4 loss to sweden, alan should have drawn

I am interested in the appearance records. Based on the Claire Benedict, Olympiad & European, I have played for Scotland 124 times, Craig Pritchett 123 times but Colin McNab leads on 197 times.

However these exclude the Celtic Triangular in the 1980s. I understand there were 3 of these at different venues : Ireland, Scotland, Wales with 2 games per event and Craig and Colin played in some of these. Does anyone have the full team lineups for these ?
Pages: 1 2 3 4