Forums

Full Version: Inverness Congress in the news
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/inverness-joins-fight-to-secure-the-future-of-chess.22086819">http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... s.22086819</a><!-- m -->
Good to see guys, but it's a shame the article had to start with: It was Sir Walter Scott who said two people playing chess across a table was "a sad waste of brains"...

It highlights one of the main problems with people's perception of Chess in this country; that it's felt an article on the subject must start in such a negative way. Time spent enjoying one's self is not time wasted. And didn't Sir Walter Scott also say "Teach your children poetry; it opens the mind, lends grace to wisdom and makes the heroic virtues hereditary.". Poetry - like Chess - could be considered "a sad waste of brains" (particularly to those who don't understand it), but nonetheless almost everyone with a half decent education would appreciate how important it is - and agree with the above.

So actually, far more than online Chess damages the OTB game in this country, I think it's the negative attitude that we should be more worried about.
Andrew

I think you are right to pick up on this. Chess in Scotland needs some positive PR.

The main reason I encouraged chess for my kids was the educational aspect. I think it helps maths in particular for obvious reasons but also in other subjects.

Looking at other kids and parents who support them its obvious to me that the children must perform better because of chess - I wonder if there is some way of measuring that statistically - for example active chess players get on average say at least 3 Highers 5 standard grades of B and compared to the Scottish average of 2 Highers and 3 standard grades. -I have no idea what the actual data is but it wold be interesting to be able to know.
Andrew McHarg Wrote:Good to see guys, but it's a shame the article had to start with: It was Sir Walter Scott who said two people playing chess across a table was "a sad waste of brains"...

It highlights one of the main problems with people's perception of Chess in this country; that it's felt an article on the subject must start in such a negative way. ...

Yes, I remember a "pro-chess" article a few years ago which started something like
"Chess players are not gin-swilling academics ... "
Honestly, I had never even remotely considered chess players as gin swilling academics, until the article.
A group of chess enthusiasts had checked into a hotel, and were standing in the lobby discussing their recent tournament victories. After about an hour, the manager came out of the office and asked them to disperse.
"But why?" they asked, as they moved off.
"Because," he said, "I can't stand chess nuts boasting in an open foyer."