Forums

Full Version: AGM Election Results
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I disagree that it would be expensive. Everything could be sent via email, and responses made via email (or via a web form). We can utilise technology here, I'm not suggesting we send everything by snail mail. ;P But in any case, if some degree of expense gets a system that operates in a much fairer way then I'd argue it's an expense worth paying.
Ianbrownlee Wrote:
P Griffin Wrote:Fairer but also quite expensive for CS
i'm not so sure that is the case and given the seriousness of what happened I think this has to be looked at. I still think a voting form either on the website with username/password authentication or using existing technology such as Outlook or similar voting buttons could go a long way for minimal cost. What price democracy?

and let me add that if someone is required to monitor and count the votes, then the vacant customer services director post could accommodate this and be overall responsible for the web site. I gathered at the AGM this post wasn't filled because at the moment it's pretty redundant
Andrew McHarg Wrote:I disagree that it would be expensive. Everything could be sent via email, and responses made via email (or via a web form). We can utilise technology here, I'm not suggesting we send everything by snail mail. ;P But in any case, if some degree of expense gets a system that operates in a much fairer way then I'd argue it's an expense worth paying.

absolutely agree 300%
Clement Sreeves Wrote:Am I the only one who finds it a bit strange that juniors under the age of say 16 have a vote at the AGM?

I did at first wonder as how can 12 or even younger kids really know the key issues? I assume if they pay fees they must be entitled to a vote.

I am sure some, and perhaps most, parents are not aware of this - indeed probably most members don't realise they can use the proxy at all. I did suggest an email and I'm sure David D said it was to be implemented last year as well. I think this highlights some more inconsistency of the proxy -

Working group will be recommending changes to the proxy rules - they should pick up on this I would have thought
Ianbrownlee Wrote:and let me add that if someone is required to monitor and count the votes, then the vacant customer services director post could accommodate this and be overall responsible for the web site. I gathered at the AGM this post wasn't filled because at the moment it's pretty redundant

I don't really see the point in the Customer Services Director position to be honest. I mean we shouldn't be trying to invent reasons for a position to exist, we should identify the needs of the organisation and create roles to satisfy those needs. Currently I'm the Webmaster, and although I was never given a specific remit, I do imagine that my role is overall broad responsibility for the website. =)
Andrew McHarg Wrote:
Ianbrownlee Wrote:and let me add that if someone is required to monitor and count the votes, then the vacant customer services director post could accommodate this and be overall responsible for the web site. I gathered at the AGM this post wasn't filled because at the moment it's pretty redundant

I don't really see the point in the Customer Services Director position to be honest. I mean we shouldn't be trying to invent reasons for a position to exist, we should identify the needs of the organisations and create roles to satisfy those needs. Currently I'm the Webmaster, and although I was never given a specific remit, I do imagine that my role is overall broad responsibility for the website. =)

well then I stand corrected , give the role to the webmaster the principle is the same
I will make an online form for this purpose if it's what people want. I have a long list of other changes that I plan to make to the website anyway... 8)
Would e-voting not mean that most people would cast their votes prior and not attend the AGM hence AGM is pointless as decision has been made already?

Just being the Devils Advocate here!
Following up that idea, how about we abolish proxies completely (with the exception of the Club, League and Affiliates) and AGMs are determined by "bums on seats"?
Andy Howie Wrote:Would e-voting not mean that most people would cast their votes prior and not attend the AGM hence AGM is pointless as decision has been made already?

Just being the Devils Advocate here!

Not sure how e-voting is any different to the current proxy system with regard to whether people will attend or not? It would just improve the chances of people getting a chance to vote, and subsequently make for fairer elections imo.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11