Forums

Full Version: Scottish Chess Championships 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Minor and U1750 draws are up. Delay to the Open draw due to a late withdrawal. Just waiting for the bossman to check the draw then will publish
Still no sign of any PGN's.

Look.

I'm working during the day and paying taxes that builds ugly parliment buildings, unwanted trams
and now yet another bridge over the Forth. (The Andy Murray Bridge).

I'm blocked from watching these silly live games things.
I like to download the PGN, print it out in font 18 because my eyes have decided to get old.
(I can print them out at work) then play over them on a board to get the feel of the game.

All I have is a post on here from Alastair White telling us that someone missed a great combo
leaving his opponent dead in the water.

This one simple pleasure is being denied me by a group of selfish techno-geeks patting themselves
on the back because they are broadcasting lives games. (sometimes...Usually it does not work.)

Not only me by the way. I work beside Findlay Murray (1900 and rising) he too is moaning
about the lack of PGN's. We have a chess set all ready to go and play over these games and all
he is seeing is me showing him opening traps. (I've worked my through 1.e4 1.d4 I'm now 1,c4)

So who is watching theses wonderful live games?

What percentage of the popualtion? (they will answer this one, they like to post how many hits they get.)Scotland is experiencing it's hottest spell of the year, what sad pale-faced untanned idiot is
sitting in his house watching games of chess?

It's obvious the score of theses games is stored somewhere, it would be a two second job to
cut and paste them onto that blank page the main site links to. The one titled Games and PGN File.

And here is the link:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scottishchesschamp.co.uk/game.php">http://www.scottishchesschamp.co.uk/game.php</a><!-- m -->

You don't have to put them in a PGN file, the bare score would do.

Me and my bus pass are hacking our way to see on Sunday.
There had better be some PGN's up by then or at least an answer on this forum as to why not.

"Me and my bus pass are hacking our way to see on Sunday. ".....Brings me nicely onto point two.

Have you see the bus jouneys I have to make to get from Edinburgh to Helensburgh and back again?

What feckless idiot chose Helensburgh as a location?

It must be one of the most impossible venues to get to in the history of Chess.
It's a wee fishing village that is deemed so unimportant they took away it's ferry.

And who the hell was Helen?
Is that the Helen from Helen of Troy? I thought she was a Greek.

(....it would be easier to get to Greece from Edinburgh than it is going from Edinburgh to Helensburgh.)
So the train that runs directly from Edinburgh to Helensburgh has totally escaped your notice then...
Geoff; <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scotrail.co.uk/timetables-routes/1931/1941/2012/winter">http://www.scotrail.co.uk/timetables-ro ... 012/winter</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glasgow/journey_planning/timetables/timetable.php?day=2&source_id=2&service=1/1A/1B/1C/1E&routeid=7744821&operator=10&source=sp">http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/glasgow ... &source=sp</a><!-- m -->

bus and/or train timesl hope this helps Big Grin
Sorry for delay. A player has been kept in hospital, hence the delay.

Scottish International Open & Championship Round:

Table White Fed Score Result Black Fed Score

1 2503 IM Barnaure, Vlad-Victor ROU 4 2496 GM Gormally, Daniel W ENG 4.5
2 2461 GM McNab, Colin A SCO 4 2504 GM Strikovic, Aleksa SRB 4
3 2360 IM Pritchett, Craig W SCO 3.5 2643 GM Jones, Gawain C B ENG 3.5
4 2169 McClement, Andrew SCO 3.5 2558 GM Hera, Imre Jr. HUN 3.5
5 2555 GM Hebden, Mark L ENG 3.5 2420 IM Trent, Lawrence ENG 3.5
6 2378 IM Burns-Mannion, Stephen R SCO 3.5 2518 GM Turner, Matthew J SCO 3.5
7 2511 IM Gretarsson, Hjorvar Steinn ISL 3.5 2370 IM McKay, Roderick M SCO 3.5
8 2447 GM Farago, Ivan HUN 3.5 2251 Sreeves, Clement SCO 3
9 2157 Burrows, Martin P ENG 3 2452 GM Hoffman, Alejandro ARG 3
10 2235 Grant, Jonathan I M SCO 3 2362 IM Bryson, Douglas M SCO 3
11 2028 Grove, Michael SCO 3 2325 IM Muir, Andrew J SCO 3
12 2277 FM Tate, Alan SCO 3 2190 Stone, Andrew M ENG 3
13 2037 McKerracher, Douglas SCO 2.5 2168 Robertson, Ian C. SCO 2.5
14 2160 Green, Andrew D SCO 2.5 2017 Borwell, Alan P SCO 2.5
15 2156 Grant, Alan G SCO 2.5 1897 Parks, Joseph SCO 2.5
16 2101 Nickl, Klaus AUT 2.5 1769 Newton, Andrew SCO 2.5
17 1905 Jelfs, Alan SCO 2.5 2055 Oswald, David C SCO 2.5
18 1882 Roy, Ali SCO 2 2119 Buchanan, Walter F. SCO 2
19 2021 Olson, Hamish SCO 2 1879 Robinson, Stephen SCO 2
20 1781 Brown, Allan D SCO 2 2009 Doyle, James SCO 2
21 1990 * McDougall, William M SCO 2 1872 Giulian, Rosemary A SCO 2
22 1717 Scott, Ian HKG 1.5 2046 Golubev, Sergey RUS 1.5
23 1981 Marks, Ian A SCO 1.5 1682 Koehn, Lennart GER 1.5
24 1864 Schmerwitz, Reinhard GER 1.5 1708 Robertson, Jim SCO 1.5
25 1988 Aird, Ian SCO 1 1802 Lees, Fraser A SCO 1
26 1880 Kleboe, James P R SCO 1 1802 Smith, Stephen H SCO 1

0 1935 Macdonald, Paul H SCO 1.5 0 forf.
0 1718 Macrae, James S SCO 1 bye
0 1781 Nicholson, John IRL 1 0 forf.
Well, Geoff does mention his bus pass, so can get there for free, usual tight chess player. He doesn't have a great record with trains, I seem to recall him ending up in Newcastle when he was trying to get to Hamilton.
Alex beat me to it. Draw is up at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scottishchesschamp.co.uk/Draw/Open/index.html">http://www.scottishchesschamp.co.uk/Dra ... index.html</a><!-- m -->

Apologies for the delay. As Alex has said, unfortunately a player has had to withdraw just before we were about to publish for medical reasons
I wish the player who has had to withdraw for medical reasons a speedy recovery.

I'm sure everyone will be drinking plenty of water given the temperatures and would advise all taking part to ensure they have enough water with them to keep hydrated during a long game.

Geoff Chandler Wrote:And who the hell was Helen?
Is that the Helen from Helen of Troy? I thought she was a Greek.

Helensburgh was founded in 1776 when Sir James Colquhoun of Luss built spa baths on the site of Ardencaple Castle, which dated back to about 1600. He then had the seaside resort town constructed to the east of the spa on a formal layout in the style of Edinburgh New Town, and named it after his wife Helen.

Geoff Chandler Wrote:So who is watching theses wonderful live games?
what sad pale-faced untanned idiot is sitting in his house watching games of chess?

That could be me Geoff, although that would mean I'm sitting at work watching live chess, which may be why I've had to work late all this week. 8)
Hi Andy,

I don't do trains although I have about £50 worth of vouchers they sent me last
time I complained about their service.
I always fire of a letter of complaint to the rail companies.
Nobody reads them, they get that many, so the wee clerk just sends you a refund or vouchers.
(I even got a refund on the tickets I bought for Edinburgh - Motherwell when I ended up in Newcastle.)

And I know the bus times. Since I got my bus pass I've been all over Scotland and do a day trip
at least once a fortnight, often one a week so I have all these bus time tables.
Next Wednesday I'm going to try and get from Edinburgh to John O'Groats and back again in the same day.
On paper it can be done.

Hi David.

So Helen is some big nobs wife from Edinburgh? Why not build his spa at Portobello?
It would have been more apt if his wife had been called Fanny.
And why they stuck it out there God alone knows. What was wrong with Grangemouth?

What are these games like. I've heard so much about them.

I really do loathe playing over games on screen.
It's like washing your feet with your socks on. Also everytime I try and load up the live games
the site tells me I need to download a flash player or something like that.
I am not cluttering up my hard drive by down loading arty-farty programs because they...
..and I'm not going to name them, they know who they are, cannot be bothered to make the PGN's available.

Are they planning on doing a tournament bulletin so you have to pay for the games.
I'm OK with that, good idea. Great idea.
But this no explanation as to why they have not posted the PGN's is disappointing.
If they cannot be arsed why not say so. I'd be OK with that as well.
Geoff, you claim an expertise at game inputting, so why don't you put in a decent shift helping out when you visit at the weekend?

There are 3 tournaments taking place at the moment, and only two permanent arbiters, Alex and Andy. Andy is spending a good deal of his time looking after the live boards, which, while you may not appreciate them, are welcomed by many, me included, and I am the same age as you, so stop being a Luddite.

A number of others, have helped with the arbiting duties so far. Alex has spent much of his time entering pgns, so they will appear, perhaps later rather than sooner. You are complaining that the computers, which you despise, are not being used to supply your particular fix quickly enough. How long did you have to wait for Informator 25-30 years ago? Did they eventually give you all the games?

At the weekend there will be four events taking place, so more volunteers are required. I will be playing, so that's my excuse for not helping.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17