Forums

Full Version: Mark Sanderson RIP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's my sad duty to report that Mark Sanderson, of the Edinburgh Chess Club, was killed in a traffic accident just outside Peebles on Monday.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-19162460">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... d-19162460</a><!-- m -->

As well as being an active player (fond of various gambits), Mark was a tireless and efficient organiser (currently both Treasurer and organiser of our junior training), as he had been when he was living in Manchester and will leave an enormous gap at Edinburgh CC. But he will mostly be missed for his easy smile, boyish enthusiaism and affable manner.

David Archibald, Secretary,
Edinburgh Chess Club
1 Alva Street
Edinburgh
EH2 4PH
Very traggic news.

I have only played Mark once but found him to be a very nice gentleman and my thoughts and wishes go out to his family and friends at this difficult time.
This is dreadful news. Mark was a great clubmate and team organiser, who worked tirelessly for both junior and senior chess in Edinburgh. He was also a dangerous player on his day - we played a few good games, and he absolutely took my head off at last year's Scottish. Most importantly, he was a really nice guy.

He will be much missed. RIP.
Totally shattering news.

My thoughts go out to his friends, which every chess player was, and his family.
This is tragic news. My thoughts go out to his family who must be utterly devestated by this loss. I've played Mark several times and they were always fantastic games. He was always a nice guy and will be sorely missed throughout the whole of the Chess community. Sad
This is terrible news. Mark put so much back into chess - will be sorely missed.
I am deeply sorry to hear this tragic news. Mark was a tireless worker for junior chess especially at Edinburgh and the Tiger Cubs. He was incredibly helpful to me on the junior scene in Edinburgh and was always so enthusiastic about younger players. My thoughts are with his family at this sad time,

Robin.
Tragic news indeed. Mark did so much for Edinburgh Chess Club and for the chess community in general. He will be a great loss.
"Here are the details for Mark’s funeral – these are provisional at the moment as the post mortem is yet to be done. My mother did consider holding the service in Edinburgh but as she herself only got out of hospital on Tuesday following a fall several weeks ago and is in her eighties she decided it was wiser to hold it in our home town of Kirkcaldy. We realise this makes it much harder for people from Edinburgh to attend but do hope some folks from Edinburgh Chess Club can manage.

The service will be held on Friday 17th August at 2.15pm and will be held in the service room of ‘Crosbie Matthew Funeral Directors’, 199 Nicol Street, Kirkcaldy, KY1 1TF (parking is in surrounding streets). After the service there will be a very short ‘family-only’ committal at the local crematorium – those who attend the service are invited to gather at the Victoria Hotel, 28 Victoria Road, KY1 1DS for refreshments and the family will join them there after the committal."

John Sanderson (Mark's brother).

Anyone intending to be there please contact the Edinburgh C.C. president, Neil Berry: (<!-- e --><a href="mailto:thebalernobull@hotmail.com">thebalernobull@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->) so that the family can know the approximate numbers.
Thanks, David Archibald
Very sad news indeed, he was a great team mate and tireless servant to Edinburgh Chess Club. My thoughts go to everyone in his family and Alva Street.
Pages: 1 2