Forums

Full Version: When will OTB Chess restart in Scotland?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm aware some clubs are meeting face-to-face. I notice there was an OTB congress in Northumbria recently and that Andy Burnett did well in the recent European Seniors in Sardinia (reported on chessbase but not here). Beyond chess, the post vaccinated UK is slowly returning to normal with indoor events across many activities restarting. But what is going on with chess in Scotland? It is mid-October, 
- There are no congresses, 
- Are there are any local leagues restarting? 
- I assume there is no National League?
- What about Richardson and Spens Cup?  
- Will the 2019-20 events be played out in same way Olympics and Euros football were? 
- More generally, is there anything going on at all?
I'm conscious chess in Scotland has been in a slow decline over many years and the pandemic has been an accelerator in many areas. Is OTB chess one of those areas accelerated to extinction or are there people out there working to bring things back up?
Hi George

Some of the points I can answer just now.

- No Congresses
>>> these are run as local events out with the remit of Chess Scotland

- Are there any local leagues restarting?
>>> Perhaps 1 or 2 but again CS don't control these events. Some are holding back a bit until the turn of the year though.

- I presume there is no National League
>>> Here the difficulty is the venue and the number of players that take part - there are still COVID controls in place by the venues and we have to comply at present.

- What about the Richardson and Spens Cup
>>> These are under consideration by the Management Board and will let people know when we can sort something out.

- Will the 2019-20 events be played out in the same way Olympics and Euros football
>>> Difficult to say at this time but we are planning the Scottish Championships for 2022 - subject once again to venue constraints.

- More generally, is there anything going on at all
>>> We are planning to get things start as well, and as quickly, as we can.

YES - there are people out there working to bring things back up, and working hard at it as well.  As soon as we have information we will attempt to keep you informed.
(08-10-2021, 08:17 PM)Jim Webster Wrote: [ -> ]Hi George

Some of the points I can answer just now.

- No Congresses
>>> these are run as local events out with the remit of Chess Scotland

- Are there any local leagues restarting?
>>> Perhaps 1 or 2 but again CS don't control these events. Some are holding back a bit until the turn of the year though.

- I presume there is no National League
>>> Here the difficulty is the venue and the number of players that take part - there are still COVID controls in place by the venues and we have to comply at present.

- What about the Richardson and Spens Cup
>>> These are under consideration by the Management Board and will let people know when we can sort something out.

- Will the 2019-20 events be played out in the same way Olympics and Euros football
>>> Difficult to say at this time but we are planning the Scottish Championships for 2022 - subject once again to venue constraints.

- More generally, is there anything going on at all
>>> We are planning to get things start as well, and as quickly, as we can.

YES - there are people out there working to bring things back up, and working hard at it as well.  As soon as we have information we will attempt to keep you informed.
Thanks Jim. Appreciate the update. Maybe starting with playing out 2019-20 Richardson and Spens would be a toe in the water to get things started again.
You would make a great tournament organiser George Smile

I have played two events down in England recently and they both seemed to go smoothly.
I guess in Scotland the rules are still a bit more restrictive which makes things more challenging, along with the smaller pool of players even pre-covid.

Bon Accord is hopefully going to start meeting again soon, less frequently (at least to start with) than before the pandemic.
Has Edinburgh West resumed yet?
lanarkshire chess OTB has started as have several clubs
Hi George

I'm aware some clubs are meeting face-to-face. I notice there was an OTB congress in Northumbria recently and that Andy Burnett did well in the recent European Seniors in Sardinia (reported on chessbase but not here). Beyond chess, the post vaccinated UK is slowly returning to normal with indoor events across many activities restarting. But what is going on with chess in Scotland? It is mid-October, 
- There are no congresses, 
- Are there are any local leagues restarting? 
- I assume there is no National League?
- What about Richardson and Spens Cup?  
- Will the 2019-20 events be played out in same way Olympics and Euros football were? 
- More generally, is there anything going on at all?
I'm conscious chess in Scotland has been in a slow decline over many years and the pandemic has been an accelerator in many areas. Is OTB chess one of those areas accelerated to extinction or are there people out there working to bring things back up?

As far as congresses go I am optimistic about one or two

There is no OTB SNCL but again there will again be an online version run by SOCO
Richardson and Spens cup as far as I am concerned has been cancelled although the CS Mann Comm has still to discuss this.
There are loads going on both OTB and online . There will be several announcements over the next few weeks including a couple from myself. 

The Lanarkshire chess league aim to start matches from November 1st, TAFCA are organised and I believe other leagues are starting in the new year

SCottish Online Chess Organisation (SOCO) will be running two  tournaments, namely the 2nd SNOCL (january) and the Chess Team Challenge (November 2021)

Further details be given by name on request
Great result in the British , Hamish - 2nd place .
The team in Slovenia will be weaker without you. We have full squad now.
Let's finish the 2019-20 Glasgow League before anything else !
Thanks Andy Smile

It was a really great experience fighting for the first place and I'm very motivated to improve after this result.
The last round it helped that my opponent had lots of pressure to win the event, whereas I was simply playing as I was mathematically out of contention.

I'm sure the team will do Scotland proud in European team championships - good luck to everyone playing.
(11-10-2021, 09:50 PM)amuir Wrote: [ -> ]Great result in the British , Hamish - 2nd place .
The team in Slovenia will be weaker without you. We have full squad now.
Let's finish the 2019-20 Glasgow League before anything else !

That is a great result. Congratulations Hamish
thanks George Smile
Pages: 1 2